What's new

Anamorphic Laserdisc? (1 Viewer)

Mark Mac

Auditioning
Are there any anamorphic laserdisc? I didnt think there was, most of my widescreen laserdisc are very stretched in normal mode so I have to use the zoom feature on the 16x9 tv I have. Last night I threw in my LD of Watership Down and was shocked to find it displayed in a 2.35:1 anamorphic display. The tv was set to normal but the black bars were similar to say, Gladiator on a 16x9 tv and the aspect was correct. Would this be considered anamophic and are there many LD like this?

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Mark I've moved this to Software. I know there are people here who will answer your question in more detail, but yes, I believe there certainly were a few (very few) anamorphic LDs put out.
Dan (UK)

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Yes, there were a few Japanese anamorphic LDs. I refer you to this Site which lists a few of them for sale (scroll down). Be aware that they're pretty pricey.
------------------
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
There are a handful of Japanese Anamorphic LDs. I think Toshiba even shipped one with their early widescreen tvs.
I've got T2 and Stargate anamorphic LDs.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
YEs, anamorphic LD did exists, but it could not be down converted like DVD. So, an anamorphic LD COULD NOT be played back properly on a 4x3 TV (unless it has a squeeze mode).
In other words, anamorphic LD was simply encoded geometricaly distorted, and the process was permanent. So, if you never notice really tall stretchy people on your copy of Watership Down previously when watching it on a 4x3 set, then it isn't anamorphic and something else muct be going on.
One issue of note, if this is the 1978 John Hurt film Watership Down, then the film's OAR is 1.66:1, and the LD released by Warner Home Video in 1994 is 1.66:1.
In other words, what is probably happening is your TV is stretching the 1.66:1 image into full. THe 1.66:1 image encoded for 4:3 TV would have slight letterboxing at the top and bottom- probably something similar to the small amount of boxing on a 2:35:1 anamorphic title.
So I would bet a dollar what you have is a non-anamorphic LD of a 1.66:1 letterboxed film. Watching it in the full mode used for anamorphic DVD means you've stretched the image out, and it should appear noticibly wide. Try switching your set to 4:3 mode (with bars on the sides) and you'll see the image with proper geometry.
-Vince
------------------
http://www.musicianassist.com
AIM: VinceMaskeeper
Interested in moving into FRONT PROJECTION with huge 6-10 foot widescreen? Buy my whole HDTV-ready CRT based front projection system delivered, cheap! Click here

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
So, if you never notice really tall stretchy people on your copy of Watership Down previously when watching it on a 4x3 set, then it isn't anamorphic and something else must be going on.
You also may not notice any tall stretchy people in Watership down because the chracters in the film are all rabbits, not people. :D
------------------
Andrew Hamm's new album Link Removed is available now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks