Anamorphic Hard Boiled coming soon

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Matthew Brown, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown Supporting Actor

I have a reliable source that says there is a good chance that Mei Ah will be releasing an anamorphic HARD BOILED with DTS in a month or so. I hope the original mono soundtrack is included. Mei Ah generally isn't big with extras but I don't think a trailer would be out of the question. Their previous release was a flipper and too bright.

This should be all region. I am hoping for a pretty decent release. I have heard for a while that new source materials were found. Maybe this one won't have all those jump frames.

At the moment, HARD BOILED is out of print in Region 1 and Buena Vista owns the rights. It was supposed to be out last year with an English only edition of the R-rated cut but BV pulled it at the last minute.

Matt

2. TonyE

TonyE Stunt Coordinator

If the transfer is better than the Fox Lorber disc i have, i might get this disc. As long as it is uncut, with original language and english subs.

Problem though, with BV owning the rights here in the states, what are the chances of them blocking sites like HKFlix.com from selling them to us?

3. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

I was rather hoping that Hong Kong Legends would put this out, like they did with The Killer. My experience with Mei Ah releases says that, regardless of picture quality, I can't stand the translations.

4. TonyE

TonyE Stunt Coordinator

So your telling me i should expect worse subtitles than the Fox Lorber disc?

I hope not.

I wish the HKL disc did not have the minor cropping issue. More importantly i wish it was NTSC region 1 or 0!

5. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

I'm pretty happy with my Fox Lorber disc...but if the translation is correct and the subtitles correct...I'd buy a new one with a new transfer and DTS...my god how this would sound in DTS if properly remixed...but man...we need The Killer too! Cause...well...its probably the best action movie ever...right in front of Hard Boiled...

6. Tim Fleming

Tim Fleming Stunt Coordinator

The new anamorphic Hard Boiled with DTS is already available in Hong Kong for the paltry sum of HK$64 at DVDShelf. At that price I can see no reason not to make a purchase.

7. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

Is that one playable in all regions?

8. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

It may be a pre-order:

Stock Status (Expected Date: 2003-06-13)

Publisher : Mei Ah (HK) Co., Ltd.
    Region Code : All
    Video: NTSC Anamorphic Widescreen 16:9
    Audio: Cantonese¡þMandarin¡]DTS¡^: Dolby Digital
    Subtitle: Chinese ¡]Traditional¡^¡þChinese¡]Simplified¡^¡þ English¡þJapanese

Just watched this today, great movie.

Chris

9. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Criterion NEEDS to get the rights back to Hard Boiled and The Killer. I am still kicking myself over not picking these up when I could. Killer was out way before I got a DVD player, and I was just stingy on the price of Hard Boiled, and then I finally got the balls to buy it it was gone. Then the fox lorber ones came, and I wasnt impressed, as I was praying a better version would come. I am crossin my fingers.

10. Tim Fleming

Tim Fleming Stunt Coordinator

11. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

I want both quality presentation AND extras. Also, you know that if Criterion were to get a hold of these again they would probably give them a lavish upgrade in picture, just look at some of their recent releases.

12. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

If memory serves the Original Criterion Killer and Hard Boiled DVD's were about as good as the Lorber ones...and I think they were too dark or something...I'm happy with the Lorber ones...but it would be uber cool for Criterion to get the rights back and do a 2 disc SE of each...

13. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Supporting Actor

Hmm. Nice specs but no extras. Man, I wish HKL had the rights to this as they would do such a top job on it. And I know that some people have issues with the cropping and subtitles on HKL dvds, but I don't. Ah well, I'll buy this new Mei Ah version to accompany (rather then replace) my Criterion laserdisc.

14. Matt<>Broon

Matt<>Broon Stunt Coordinator

If you're multi region then 'The Killer' is available from HK legends in an R2 release. It's a nice anamorphic transfer and has an informative and sometimes amusing full length commentary from Bey Logan.

They don't do a hard boiled yet. [​IMG] Must petition them to do so.

15. Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown Supporting Actor

Here are reviews for a bunch of different versions of HARD BOILED and THE KILLER.

http://www.loveandbullets.com/hardboiled.htm
    http://www.loveandbullets.com/killerdvd.htm

As far as HARD BOILED goes, this is the best chance of a decent release anywhere in the world. If you speak or can read French, there is an HKVIDEO version. It does have forced subtitles. The current version from TARTAN (Region 2) although anamorphic is supposedly pretty poor. HKL has tried for the rights but supposedly the rights aren't changing hands anytime soon, anywhere in the world. Maybe Buena Vista will visit the wizard of Oz and receive a heart and brain so they can let a company that wants to produce an uncut, undubbed DVD do so.

Matt