Anamorphic dvd's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Danton, May 1, 2002.

1. Danton

Danton Extra

Is there an online dvd store that tells you whether the dvd is anamorphic or not? I'd like to make any of my future purchases the anamorphic kind. I am really impressed with the picture compared to the regular widescreen ones that I have.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Usually, DVD Empire states the disc's technical specifications underneath the image of the cover. And for 16:9-encoded discs, they phrase it as "widescreen anamorphic" (which, of course, is a misnomer--but that's another thread!).

3. Danton

Danton Extra

Well this whole anamorphic thing has me confused also. Almost all of my dvds say 16:9 - enhanced for widescreen. Yet only about 7 of them, out of maybe 120, fill the whole screen on my 16:9 hdtv.

4. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

16x9 Anamorphic merely means that the image has been anamorphically encoded. 16x9 equates to an aspect ratio of 1.78:1. If the film has a wider aspect ratio, for example 2.35:1, then there will be black bars on the top and bottom of the image.

Note - this isn't a bad thing. You're seeing the entire image as seen in the theater. And, because it was anamorphically encoded you're seeing more vertical resolution than you would otherwise.

Besides the above example, there are two other possibilities that would result in the image not filling the entire screen: if the film was 1.85:1 or 1.66:1. In both of these instances there would be a very small black bar either at the top and bottom (for 1.85:1) or on the left and right (for 1.66:1). However, unless your set has been calibrated and just about all of the overscan removed, you won't see these slim bars.

-greg

5. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

6. Danton

Danton Extra

Thanks for the help in clearing that up. So what do you guys do when you have a RPTV and most of your movies don't fill the screen? I'm trying to keep any viewing that has black bars to a minimum from fear a leaving burn lines. I only use the TV about 3-4 hours a day.

7. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Danton:

Don't worry about it. I've had a widescreen TV since 1996 watch more hours a day than you do, mostly widescreen material, and have never had a burn-in problem from the "black bars"

I do have a burn-in problem from the grey bars at the sides of the 4:3 area, mostly because the set was maladjusted out of the box (as most are) and I didn't discover Video Essentials (and later Avia) until more than a year after I bought the thing. Since there were no DVDs in '96, few in '97, and my laserdisc collection was quite small, I watched a lot more 4:3 material in those days. I watch news and similar "throw-away" programming in "full mode" and put up with the distortion to prevent this from getting any worse, but I've never seen a trace of a burn-in problem from 2.35:1 or higher DVDs or LDs.

Regards,

Joe