Anamorphic DVD player question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoanPablo_T, Apr 5, 2002.

1. JoanPablo_T

JoanPablo_T Stunt Coordinator

Quick question..

I have a Sony DVD player (550D) and a Sony 32" HD Set (4:3 aspect ratio with an auto 16:9 feature)

I have the DVD player set to 16:9, so when an anamorphic DVD is being played, the TV will automatically change to 16:9. ok..cool!, BUT the signal the DVD player is sending out has some sort of 'flag', that tells the TV to change to 16:9. This is where it's get tricky... this 'flag', is it a REQUIREMENT for a DVD player, or a choice the manufacturer has when designing the unit?

Basically, I am simply trying to get a definitive answer if ALL DVD players are required to send out the anamorphic 'flag' for 4:3 TV's that have an auto 16:9 feature to receive, and adjust accordingly? Thanks!

JP

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I believe the "flag" you're referring to is a function of the disc, not the player. And yes, it's up to the disc's producers whether or not to include it.
    M.

3. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    The WSS (Wide Screen Signaling) feature is based on the ITU-R BT.1119, ETSI EN 300 294, IEC 61880 and EIA-J CPR1204 standards. I don't believe these are mandatory standards for televisions, but as a function of the recorded video signal (signals embedded on blanking lines 23 [PAL] and 20/283 [NTSC]) and the playback monitor not the DVD player, any DVD player should output this widescreen trigger with suitably encoded video material.

Adam

4. JoanPablo_T

Adam, follow up question, what if the player does not pass the signal at all? does that mean it doesn't meet DVD standards?

thanks

JP

5. JoanPablo_T

-and thank you Michael for the respnoce as well!
    [​IMG]

6. JoanPablo_T

Adam, as another question.. I do have a log in for the ITU. if you could provide a link or the downloaded spec would be great. I always have trouble navigating their website.

thanks!

7. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    Joan, try this link .
    If the DVD player isn't outputting the WSS signal, then there's some serious corruption of the picture going on somewhere (although this wouldn't necessarily mean the player didn't meet DVD standards). I don't imagine these signal lines would be selectively corrupted (rather, all would), so you would probably see either no picture/static or a virtually unwatchable image.
    Certainly, whether the WSS signal was usable or not would be the least of your problems.
    Adam

8. JoanPablo_T

thanks Adam!, The picture output of this particular DVD player is fine, it's just not passing the WSS signal. oh well!
    [​IMG]
    JP