Anamorphic Clockwork Orange?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Paul_Saul, May 18, 2003.

1. Paul_Saul

Paul_Saul Stunt Coordinator

Will there be an anamorphic print of Clockwork Orange coming out?

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Probably not since the current DVD is about 1.44:1 to 1.66:1 depending on the scene.

3. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Patrick, I have the "Digitally Restored And Remastered" region 2 version, and all scenes are matted to the same ratio: when I view the DVD in 14:1 (1.55:1) mode, there is a a very shallow amount of letterboxing at the top and bottom. My Panasonic TX-28PL1 is set to 3%. It appears to be 1.66:1 throughout.

It would take major changes in personel at Warner for them to re-re-issue the film on DVD with an anamorphic 1.66:1 windowboxed transfer.

I think that the transfer is great. The lack of anamorphic enhancement does not weaken the transfer when view on my TV, but on larger TVs, it may, I cannot be sure.

If any Kubrick film needs a high-quality high-def picture and sound remaster, it is Strangelove. I can't believe that Columbia didn't remaster for the last reissue.

Rant over. [​IMG]

Gordy

4. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

The problem is that WB (and MGM) STILL haven't "gotten it" that they can properly 16x9 encode a 1.66:1 film without 4x3 viewers being bothered by distracting pillar-boxing bars (the overscan on most TVs makes them invisible).

I won't buy this film on DVD for this reason. I won't watch it window-boxed on all 4 sides on my 16x9 display and I won't "zoom" it because I shouldn't have to crop the image and loose resolution just because the studio can't get it together. I'll keep waiting for this one and all 1.66:1 DVD transfers from MGM and WB...even if I have to wait for HD-DVD. Plenty of other studios doing 1.66:1 right to earn my cash in the meantime.

-dave

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I understand your passion, DaViD. But, fella, I could not be without this film in my library! [​IMG]

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden