Anamorphic & 51HW40. Please Help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David I, Aug 9, 2002.

1. David I

David I Auditioning

OK, I just got a Sony 51HW40 and a Sony 755 DVD progressive scan DVD player. I set the DVD player to progressive and hooked it up via component to the set.

The problem is, whenever I play anamorphic discs, I still get letterboxing on the top & bottom. I was under the impression that anamorphic filled the screen. When I turn the "Zoom" feature on, the picture fills the screen but I though it was supposed to fill the screen in "full" mode. I may be totally off on the anamorphic feature, i.e. 2.35:1 movies still get slight letterboxing.

Additionally, the TV won't let me set the DRC, i.e. Cinemotion, Progressive or Interlaced. When I enter setup, it is set to Interlaced but the option is greyed out. Any ideas? I want to make sure I'm actually displaying a progressive signal. I'm thinking this feature is for interlaced signals only but I want to make sure.

By the way, the picture looks absolutely fantastic and I haven't even tweaked my system with Avia yet.

2. Jim Lenneman

Jim Lenneman Stunt Coordinator

David,

As I understand it, DRC is out of the loop when you feed the TV a progressive signal. Do you have the DVD player set to 16x9 mode? TV should be set to "full". This works for me.

Jim L

3. David I

David I Auditioning

I do have the DVD player set to 16x9. Do you get any sort of letterboxing in Full mode? I even get letterboxing in anamorphic 1.85:1 films.

4. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Films in 1.78:1 and 1.85:1 should essentially have no letterboxing at all (well, maybe a pixel or two for 1.85:1). Anything wider ratio than 1.85:1 such as 2.00:1 2.35 and 2.40 and 2.50:1 all will be letterboxed on your screen no matter what. 16:9 or 1.77-1.85:1 should have no significant letterboxing.

5. Warner

Warner Agent

16/9=1.78
    Your 51" screen is 44.5" wide. A 1.85 dvd with no overscan should be 44.5"/1.85=24" tall, but your screen is 25" tall, so that means 1/2" bars on top and bottom. If you see no bars with a 1.85 dvd, that means your overscan is at least 4%. You do see bars, so your overscan is less than 4% out of the box, which sounds strange to me.

6. Jim Lenneman

Jim Lenneman Stunt Coordinator

David,

Sorry, Chris is right. Kinda had my head up today. Essentially your 16x9 TV is a 1.78 aspect ratio (16 divided by 9). Anything different than this will have minimal (1.85:1) to a greater amount (2.5:1) of letterboxing.

Jim L