What's new

Analog vs digital SPL meter: what's wrong with digital? (1 Viewer)

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
I have the digital Ratshack SPL meter, which is what I used to calibrate my AVM 20. However, I see a lot of recommendations to get the analog model instead. Before I go drop $35 on the analog meter, can someone tell me why the digital model isn't suitable for calibrating? Is it inaccurate?

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
No, the digital unit is not "wrong". It's just that the analog one can be visually read (because of the markings) down to a half of a decibel (or better if your vision is excellent) accuracy. The digital one is only going to show you down to the nearest whole decibel. The other reason the analog model is recommended is because it's cheaper.

But other than the readout, they are essentially the same...

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
Okay, thanks. What about the other shortcomings I've heard about with this unit? For example, I remember reading that it's not as sensitive (or is that too sensitive?) when it comes to bass frequencies, so certain allowances have to be made when adjusting the sub level.

Is there a FAQ somewhere that details all of the quirks of the Ratshack meter?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks