Analog TV color variation dependent on direction

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by keir, Dec 29, 2002.

1. keir

keir Stunt Coordinator

I bought a JVC 27s33 yesterday and I'm liking it quite a bit, but there is a small color "weirdness".

If I turn my tv so its screen faces north, a green spot appears in the upper left and a red spot appears in the bottom right corners.

If I tilt it any other direction the corners of the screen are slightly darkened.

I think that both problems are less than they were yesterday but it may just be my imagination.

Should I take this back? or is there a chance that it is actually clearing up on its own? I have 30 days before I need to return or exchange it so should I just wait a bit to see if it clears up?

2. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

Sounds as if it's located next to some speakers. When you move it, you're changing it's location relative to the speakers' magnets. Those colors are the deflection of the CRT's electrons caused by the speaker's magnets. Try moving them further away from the TV; then try your TV movement again.

3. Bill.P

Bill.P Extra

Aahh yes, a good question... Would you believe that this is because of the magnetic field of the earth?
    Believe it or not, that is what is causing the color changes. This is a common problem. Usually the degaussing coil takes care of that on power up, but sometimes it takes a couple power ups to comletely disappear.
    -Bill

4. keir

keir Stunt Coordinator

theres no speakers near and i have tried putting the tv in the center of the rooom. so im pretty sure its the earth's poles that have magnetized it. it has powered up many times but the degaussing apparently isnt strong enough. i think i might try using my 19inch comp monitor that has a more powerful degauss.

[edit]
    I powered it on and off about 15 times and its still there just as bad. I used the 19'' monitor, and although the tv screen flickered, the color did not go away. Guess I'll take it back tomorrow.