Analog signals on HD 57" - Is it that bad!!!???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott_HL, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Scott_HL

Scott_HL Auditioning

When I purchased my 27" Trinitron in 96, I bought it knowing it was small, but that I would plop the big cash for the HD big screen later. Well, now I have a living room that is 13/19, w/ a viewing distance of 9', and it's driving me crazy! I need a big screen.
    My dilemma is I watch a lot of sports, and from what I have read, there are virtually no HD broadcasts of sports (outside of HDnet) - specifically NFL.
    I have a nice HT going, and this is the big hole in my system. I watch 70% tv, 30% dvd.

Question is - How bad is analog(diretv) on a HD ready set? I keep reading it's terrible. I have read on the forum that Elite is the winner for line doubling, but what about the others (Sony, Toshiba)? Will I have buyers remorse on Sundays when I want to watch an NFL game?
    Recommendations??????

2. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

I have a Pioneer 64" widescreen, and find that it does just fine with analog signals. I sit 9' from the screen.

DirectTV can be bad at times (especially the local channels, they seem to always have the worst picture quality).

If I am watching football on network television, i use my HDTV set-top box to receive the signals. Over-the-air local channels look very good, whether they are high-def or not.

There are more sporting events showing up in HighDef. There has been alot of college football lately, I think every saturday there is one game on in HD. Major events like the US Open (tennis) and the Masters were just amazing to watch.

Jeff

3. Scott_HL

Scott_HL Auditioning

Jeff,

I assume that your set-top box for HD is your Directv box, right? If not, what do you use?
    Also, do you have an elite?

4. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

My STB is not Direct TV capable. I use a Samsung T150, which is OTA only. I dont care much for HDNet and HBO, so I decided to skip the DTV box. Maybe when they get more content I will upgrade.

My Television is not Elite. It is the Pioneer SD-643HD5.

Jeff