What's new

Analog Signal on HDTV = Bad Picture? (1 Viewer)

CraigD

Auditioning
I recently bought a 27 inch HDTV (Samsung TXM2796HF). I am mostly wathcing regular cable on it. In a case like this would a non HDTV of the same size look better?

I ask because to me the picture looks bad. It is sort of blocky/pixelated especially in areas of solid colors. Kind of look looking at a picture on a computer monitor if you have it set on a low number of colors.

II read some stuff about HDTVs showing the problems in bad cable signals, but it looks pretty much the same when I am watching a DVD from a non progressive scan player(composite hookup).

So am I nuts thinking it looks bad? The salesman told me it should look better than a regular TV even on analog signals because of the line doubler?

The reason I ask is because I am thinking of returning the set and getting a flatscreen analog of the same size. Extra cost isn't a consideration since I bought this TV on an open box discount for only $450. So would I be better off with a 27 inch analog for the same price?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yes, a regular TV would hide the flaws. I'm guessing you have digital cable?

Personally, I find digital cable even worse than analog, the bitrate is pathetically low

RichN

Stunt Coordinator
My first question would be: Why was it an open box? Was it a customer return, a demo, or just because some salesman needed a remote for another customer? Have you tried calibrating the picture using a good calibration DVD? Even using composite inputs, you should have a good DVD picture.
RichN

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks