What's new

analog outputs for stereo audio? (1 Viewer)

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Would someone explain something to me. Why would it be suggested to use analog cables for stereo playback from a CD player? I can't find, or get a hold on why people do this. It seems that in a lot of high end stereo systems, people don't use a digital coax cable from the player...instead they use high end analog cables from a place like bluejeans. Would someone shed some light on this topic? It has me a wee bit confused.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Sure, there are several reasons that one might use a CD player via analogue:

1. The DAC in a CD player is often superior to one found in a receiver
2. Ideally the DAC should be located as close to the CD transport as possible, to reduce electronic jitter. e.g. 111010101 sounds different than 111-01--0101
3. Some of us prefer an analogue sound over a digital sound

In my own system I have a Naim CD5x with FlatCap-2x power supply, using analogue DIN interconnects. This has an additional benefit of a common ground with my pre-amp. This is one the most natural and musical CD players I've ever heard, and comes very close to rivaling my turntable

Cheers,
Alon

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Do you think the DAC in my oppo 983 is superior than the one in the denon 2808? I understand that logic and it does make sense, but on to the other part...

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...does-work.html

if you read through the thread, there is an argument if there is any noticeable differences in sound between players. Now, I do understand and also agree that turntables sound MUCH better and if set-up right, absolutely awsome. Perhaps you could chime in on the previous thread here to get some other points of view.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hard to say, why not connect the RCA cables that were included with your Oppo purchase and see for yourself what you prefer. Though I strongly suspect that at this pricepoint there will be little difference between the DAC's on the 983 and 2808.

My own CD player offers dual-mono 24-bit Burr-Brown chip, along with many other performance enhancements, but at the same time costs 10x the Oppo for perhaps a 20% improvement in sound quality.

cheers,
elapsed

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Yipes. I don't like that ratio. Well...if I had the money, I would do it in a second. I think I'm actually ditching the oppo for an "all in one". One receiver, one player, one tv, and 3 hdmi cables. SIMPLE SIMPLE SIMPLE.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
Leftover $$$ goes towards new speakers.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
LOL yes don't follow my lead, when I was first building my system I had that exactly in mind.. but today my system consists of pre-amp, poweramp, power supply, phono stage, cd player, dvd player, hd-dvr, turntable, and will soon also include headphone amp and another power supply. 10 boxes, and a couple dozen cables

Cheers,
Alon

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
This is what can happen if your not real careful! :laugh:

BTW, I'm no expert in analog sound quality, but I've owned 9-10 dvd players (including a Pioneer Elite 59avi and OPPO 970) and a couple of cd players over the last few years and the only one's that I've heard a noticable improvement with the two channel analogs is an H/K dvd-5 (featuring Wolfson DACS) and a surprise to me, an H/K dvd 47. Apparently dedicated cd players fare better. Receivers in use were an H/K 520 and Pioneer Elite 59txi. But again, not an expert like Alon
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I still think by spending 200 on a panny 35 and just being done with it...i'll be ahead. For the amount of money I'd have to spend to notice a difference, it's not worth it. Between using a stand alone CD player, a stand alone SD DVD player, and a stand alone BD player...I could use the panny 35 for everything and put 400-500 dollars into new main speakers.

I think money spent on good main speakers far outweigh spending excessive money on disc spinners. I have hdmi connections, and a pretty decent AVR...any player in the panny 35 price range will sound awsome.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I have to agree. Any difference I heard was fairly small. Maybe someday I'll try putting together a really good two channel system, but for now I think I'll stick with what I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zoobird
Recent bookmarks