Analog or Wega for DVD use

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by EricCrane, Aug 7, 2004.

1. EricCrane

EricCrane Agent

How much of an improvement will I see when watching dvd's if I get an HDTV ready Sony FD Trinitron Wega KV-32HS420 over my analog 32" Sansui TV?

The price of the sony is about a grand. If I'm not going to get hidef tv from a satellite is it worth buying one? If it's a great improvement I might go get one a year from now or wait a few years when I can get satellite TV.

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Just a pet peeve of mine with terminology. HDTV has no bearing whatsoever on whether a set is "digital" or analog. The Wega is a CRT display capable of displaying high-definition images. Being a CRT, it is inherently an analog device. Standard definition versus EDTV or HDTV is the correct comparison.

Analog vs Digital is irrelevant. That being said, scaled-up DVD on a quality display can be significantly better.

3. EricCrane

EricCrane Agent

Not to make you made grumpy but I never meant to imply that the sony wasn't analog.

And thanks for your advice. I might just wait and get a dlp in a few years anyways.

4. SimiA

SimiA Second Unit

There will be improvement, but if your happy, why mess with that???[​IMG]
    Vb

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Since this is a theoretical discussion that just happens to involve a specific-model display, we can keep the thread here in Basics. But if you are going to seek specific-model advice, then it will have to be moved.

As it is, 480p is a vast improvement over 480i. So, yes, you are going to see a significant improvement on two fronts: progressive scanning and the fact that the WEGA collapses the entire scanning-line raster into a 16:9 window for 16:9 source material. Both will render a vastly improved picture over that Sansui.

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

sorry, didn't mean to come off grumpy. It's just a common misconception that somehow "digital" TVs are HD, or that they are somehow connected.

Anyway, yeah an HD-set that scales up the video, or any quality video processing on SD material up to higher resolutions can lead to significantly better pictures especially with large screens. You may or may not value the change compared with the cost of getting a new TV that's similar in size and quality, so you might want to explore the improvements in person to see if you think it's worth it.