What's new

Analog or Digital TV best w/DirecTV (1 Viewer)

Adam Horwitz

Auditioning
I'm currently using cable TV and shopping for my first RPTV. I've read many messages (mostly in the AVS Forum) about the picture quality difference between analog cable signals and satellite signals with no obvious winner. It appears to me that mileage varies based upon TV, TV sharpness setting, and the local cable company.
My local cable quality & service is pretty good (probably due to the fact that the entire system went on line about 5 years ago) but I'm not using a cable box as I currently have no "movie channels." I'm not sure if my cable company offers "digital TV" service, though I know that AT&T does (the only other choice in my area) as they bought and upgraded the incumbent cable system. I do plan on adding movie channels, either via cable box or satellite depending upon which route I go. Right now I am leaning towards satellite.
I know that I will see more imperfections regardless of whether I stay with cable or switch to satellite due to the increased size of the TV screen. What I don't know, is if purchasing a standard analog set or digital set (i.e. "HD Ready") will make a difference. I have definitely decided to stay with a standard 4:3 aspect screen for now. I've also settled on a 55" screen as the maximum size but could go smaller if needed. 60" and up just seems to big and overwhelming. My sofa seats are about 13' and 15' away from the screen. My family primarily watches broadcast TV but I watch DVDs once or twice a week.
I've seen how the line doublers work on analog signals in digital TVs and the picture is quite nice. Recently I was at a local Tweeter store and the sales guy was talking up the idea of going with the digital screen because of the clearer picture for analog signals. I was liking this idea until he mentioned that the analog signal from my cable company will look better than the digital signal from satellite due to the compression. This was quite a surprise since he knew I was planning on switching to satellite service. I'm not sure if this was a slip or he was telling the truth.
If I go with analog, my choice is a 4:3 55" Mitsubishi Gold Series. I have no idea what manufacturer/model if digital. And as I mentioned I'm not even sure if I should go analog or digital.
I appreciate any comments on the analog vs. digital discussion specific to my situation and also recommendations on digital sets.
Thanks in advance.
Adam
Happiness is owning your own pinball machine!

Bill_M

Agent
A digital tv will line double- a big improvement. The best picture will be an HD-STB receiver with an HDTV. At 13-15' away I would go with a 65" widescreen. The 4x3 on it will be 53".
[Edited last by Bill_M on August 06, 2001 at 05:07 PM]

Mike I

Supporting Actor
With the HD availability in the Chicago area, with out a doubt go Digital...Picture quality between digital and analog is like day and night...
------------------

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Digital. Progressive scan is the way to go.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Adam Horwitz

Auditioning
Based on the responses (thank you) can someone recommend brand/model(s) 4:3 digital TVs? The source will be standard CATV or DirecTV (but not HD). I'm ordering DirecTV tomorrow and crossing my fingers that it's a better picture than my cable system.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm under the impression that having the right line doubler is the magic bullet.
I know 65" was mentioned but that's just too big for my room. 55" is my desired size.
Adam
[Edited last by Adam Horwitz on August 08, 2001 at 02:34 AM]

Mark Rogo

Grip
DirecTV is so bad with MPEG artifacts I don't agree with the above posters. I think an analog TV -- without a line doubler -- will produce a better picture than any digital TV in many, many ways. This is readily obvious.
I say either:
* Buy analog
* Buy digital with a defeatable doubler (like Panasonic) so when you watch overcompressed shows they don't become totally unwatchable
* Consider a DVDO Iscan Pro, which may do a much better job on DirecTV than any of the sets out there
If you want digital, I recommend the Panasonic 51HX41 (or the 56 if it is shipping and you want more size). The 51 is apparently fantastic and it's a great deal too.
Mark

StephenP

Stunt Coordinator
I would get a sony 53hs20/30, as the panasonic models do not offer 16:9 mode for 480p sources. Also the new model toshiba H71's are due out soon, but the literature isnt clear about 480p signals either, we will have to wait and see. It looks to me like they can only display 810i or 1080i in 16:9 mode, but I could be mistaken. If the is true, then once again the sony's are the only available models with selectable 16:9 mode for anamorphic dvds. ( I have heard some philips models may also do it, but not sure) Good luck on you decision, I'm pulling my hair out too!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks