analog or digital outs from DVD player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy Peake, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Jeremy Peake

Jeremy Peake Auditioning

I was wondering if it makes sense to use the analog outs from a DVD player instead of the digital outs when watching movies.

I'm looking into a new player that can do DVD-A, and was curious about using the analog outs for movies as well.

Thanks
    Jeremy Peake

2. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

You need to use the digital coax or optical out to get the Dolby Digital or DTS signal for surround sound when watching movies.

3. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

You CAN use the analog outs for DD and DTS movies if the player has built in decoders. I used a Onkyo DV-SP800 for several weeks when my preamp was being fixed. Matter of fact, if you had a Sony TA-P9000es analog preamp (5.1 inputs), you wouldn't need another receiver/preamp at all if the one source could do it all (and the SP800 basically does). Of course you wouldn't have all the fancy DSP features and video switching but that about all.

4. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

Using the digital connection for Dolby Digital, DTS and PCM will make use of the receiver's DACs, bass management and time alignment, which are typically better than the DVD player's.

5. Robin Casady

Robin Casady Agent

6. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

You should definitely use the digital inputs for movies, although you'll have to use the analog cables for DVD-A. I compared the sound watching a movie from the analog (internal decoder in my player) and digital (decoding in reciever) recently and although I knew the digital connection would provide a better sound, I was kinda amazed by just how much better.