analog or digital connectors for music playback?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MitchJS, Dec 26, 2002.

1. MitchJS

MitchJS Extra

I have Panny rp91 dvd player and I have both 6 channel analog cables and toslink connection going to my Marantz sr8000 receiver. I've been using the analog connectors for playing dvd-audio discs and the digital connection for regular cds and dvd movies and concerts. My question is: which provides the better quality sound/music - the analog cables or the toslink connection? I don't know if I'm nuts, but it seems that the analog cables have better sound quality than the digital. I always thought that digital was better than analog. Anyone else have similar experiences or knowledge on this topic? If the 6 channel analog plugs provide better sound reproduction, then why bother with digital connection?

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I have similar equipment, RP91 and the Marantz AV9000 pre. I'm not overly impressed with the 91's analog output. It's particularly sour sounding on CD's, some better on DVD-A which is undoubtedly due to the format's superiority. I liked the analog outputs of the JVC 723 that I used to have more. I don't think the 91's analog outputs are a strong point. I bought mine for the video. I vote digital, preferably coaxial, for everythng but DVD-A. Best wishes!

3. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

Mitch, it's not a question of whether analog or digital is better. At some point, you have to do a conversion from digital to analog - either by the DVD-Player or the receiver. In some systems the DVD-Player does a better job of digital to analog conversion (DAC); in other systems the receiver does a better job. I suggest you go with whichever sounds best to you.

4. Jason Garrett

Jason Garrett Stunt Coordinator

Hey Mitch, I'm glad you asked this question. I just got a CP-72 yesterday to go with my Onkyo TX-SR700 and while testing out the DVD-A sound quality of Hotel California against the CD version I found that I liked the analog output better than the digital for my cd in my inexperienced opinion. I haven't tried any other cd's yet. It's a little disappointing that the receiver doesn't produce better sound than the cheap cd player.

5. Ben Hanrahan

Ben Hanrahan Stunt Coordinator

I too believe that the analog outs sound better and I think this is an issue of avoiding a reclocking of the digital signal which induces jitter....at least that's the best explaination I can find on this topic. I have done a direct a-b comparison and even on dd5.1 the analog connection seems to sound better. For cd playback, there's no doubt that the analog connections almost always sound better!