analog or digital audio connection from DVD player to receiver

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by MichaelLGallo, Sep 30, 2003.

1. MichaelLGallo

MichaelLGallo Auditioning

Just upgraded my receiver (Marantz SR-7300) and was given a DVD player (actually a combo VCR-DVD by Samsung). So now I have a choice between an analog or digital (coax or optical, but I think coax would be the right choice, no?) connection from the DVD side of the player to my receiver. Anyone have reasons why I would want to use the analog connection rather than the digital, or vice versa? If I had a bunch a cabling lying around I'd just use trial and error, but why not ask the experts?
    [​IMG]

P.S. I'm only running two speakers and a sub right now, but that could change.

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I would run digital, so that you can take advantage of the bass management offered by the Marantz. And the D/A converters in the Marantz may be of better quality, but who knows.

Trial and error is always worth it!

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I would run a digital cable, I use that in my 5300, i still think it sounds a little better (different is probably a better term) than the DAC's in my NAD 521i. I would wager the DVD player isn't up to snuff, the receiver DAC's will probably be better, but it's not hard to switch back and forth and decide for yourself. Connect both to the same input, then switch with the A/D button and you can do a very easy comparison and decide for yourself.

Since you have cables lying around try it.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The 7300 has good DACs, so I would use digital, preferably coaxial, with a decent quality cable.

5. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Digital seems the best choice in this case. Coax or optical doesn't make much difference. Choose your pick.

Cees

6. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

Digital is digital. Coax cable is cheaper. When I bought a new Yamaha receiver I simply used 'half' a stereo RCA connector to try the digital connection...

The difference between analog & digital is night and day.

7. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Digital coax should be specifically 75ohm, like a video cable.

8. MichaelLGallo

MichaelLGallo Auditioning

Thanks folks, I'm going with the digital coax.

9. Brian.Huep

Brian.Huep Agent

Most dvd players still need to be hooked up with the analog to listen to music cd's FYI.

On all the dvd players I have had, regular music cd's only play threw the analog outs. Anything digital will still play threw the digital outs, so there is no harm.

10. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

I RESEARCHED THE VALUE OF COAX OVER OPTICAL AND VICE-VERSA
    AND ENDED UP GOING W/OPTICAL, IT WAS A LITTLE MORE COSTLY
    BUT I WAS AMAZED AT THE QUALITY OF SOUND AND SEPARATION OVER ANALOG,
    JUST MY TWO CENTS

11. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

Be careful if you connect both digital and analog audio outputs...

I've heard that if the dvd player is set to digital out and you run the bitstream through the analog output, you can seriously damage your receiver/speakers etc.

I would recommend one or the other. Not both.

I believe that most new receivers will decode PCM from cd's anyway via digital connection. Mine does.

12. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Kevin: You are confusing a couple things here. Analog connections (which uses two coax wires), versus a digital coax connection (one coax wire, 75ohm), versus optical digital connection (optical fiber, toslink). The difference (or non-difference) between digital coax and optical is ridiculously small, if at all audible. Given that the "high-end" world likes to prefer digital coax over optical, AND moreso that any 75ohm coax will do just fine and is a lot cheaper, I say coax digital is the way to go, if anything just to save some $$. As for analog connections, you can't really adequately compare analog versus digital connection (either digital, coax or optical), because analog utilizes the DACs in the player, wile using a digital connection instead shifts the decoding responsibilities to the DACs in an outboard processor (like a receiver).

So in hearing a differene, the difference was not between wires, or digital versus analog connections, but in the DACs. Hope that helps with your understanding of what's going on.

[​IMG]

13. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

14. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John