Analog DVR options/questions...

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by MarcSI, Oct 17, 2005.

1. MarcSI

MarcSI Auditioning

hello. I'm looking into getting a standalone DVR to use with my Cox basic (analog) cable.
    I have HDTivo DirecTV setup, but want this cable set-up for a backup, plus recording a few local channels that aren't offered by DirecTV. already have the basic analog cable from cox, just want to throw a DVR in there.
    if i go with Cox's DVR setup, i'd have to pay $60+ a month for digital cable + DVR fee.
    i'm just looking for a cheap DVR solution that would work with analog cable. i understand that there would be a conversion of analog to digital by the DVR and some quality loss would take place.
    so given that, here some questions i have...

1) recommendations for standalone DVRs?
    2) do standalones require a subscription of any type? was reading about Tivo's $12.99/mo or $299 lifetime.
    3) if i don't get (or have to get) a subscription, can i just manually program the recordings?

have searched the net & forums, but haven't come across what i've been looking for. most questions are about digital cable dvr service.

thanks for any advice.
    marc

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    1. Tivo. You already have it. You will be disappointed with anything else.
    2. Yes.
    3. Without a subscription, Tivo is an expensive door-stop. Not sure about Replay and others.

What type of local channels do you want to record? Why do you need a backup recorder?

-Robert

3. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Same deal. ReplayTV requires either the monthly or lifetime fee to function.

A "Cheap" solution (but probably not practical) would be to buy a DVD recorder and record shows to a rewritable disc. The drawback (obviously) is limited space for recording and the other drawback is having to constantly format the disc once it's full.

4. MarcSI

MarcSI Auditioning

hi. thanks for the reply. i was looking to record some various network show (like Lost or Survivor) from the network channels, also here in the DC area a bunch of wizards basketball games are carried on News Channel 8.
    as much as i like DirecTV, the service goes out when foul weather comes rolling thru (very frustrating actually). these past 2 months i've had cox's HD DVR set up as a trial and have enjoyed having a backup DVR setup, has come in handy once already because of bad weather missed recordings on directv. and with basketball season coming up, i'd love to take advantage of DVR recording NC8.
    can't give up the directv, can't live without the NFL ticket. so i'm looking for the cheapest solution possible.

i was hoping i could buy a dvr box and just set it up to record certain channels at certain times, but you can't do that without guide info?

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    With a properly aimed dish, it should only go out during the worst storms. Even then the locals on the spot beams will be the last to go. The last time I lost my local feeds, I probably should have been taking shelter in an interior room or closet. What are your signal strengths on each transponder?

-Robert

6. MarcSI

MarcSI Auditioning

i'm also battling some serious trees... so the combo of clouds, wind, rain, trees put knock down my strength. hence the reason i'm interested in getting a backup.

7. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Screenwriter

Chris Gerhard
    You could buy an older ReplayTV used with Subscription such as a Panasonic Showstopper and it does not require a paid subscription. I have one and it works great for what you want. I paid $100 for mine new a couple of years ago but doubt you can find one new today. It does require a phone connection and you would want to make sure a local number in your area is available.

Chris

8. MarcSI

MarcSI Auditioning

thanks for all the replies. appreciate it.
    i ended up winning a series1 standalone tivo with a lifetime service one it on ebay. so as long as the transfer goes well and the unit works, i should be in good shape.... (knocking on wood!)