What's new

analog direct question (1 Viewer)

Kevin T

Screenwriter
in the not to distant future i'll be in the market for a decent music / home theater pre-pro. the latest and greatest sound decoding formats that big of a seller for me but i'm interested in the "analog direct" mode touted by a number of pre-pro manufacturers. is this a "mode" you can switch on for any input (sorta like a dsp) or is it restricted to only a few of the inputs. i'm currently thinking about the outlaw 950 as are a lot of other's here. i add a sony scd-c222es using it's optical out to an msb link 3 dac for redbook playback and it's multi-channel and 2 channel out for dsd. so you see, i'll have 3 different rca connections from this one machine going to the pre. will i be able to apply "analog direct" to all these inputs or will i be SOL? just wondering. thanks.
kevin t

Justin B

Agent
Kevin,
While I'm not familiar with the Outlaw, for multi-channel SACD or DVD-A you will be using the 5.1 (or 6.1, 7.1) input on the pre-pro. This input is inherently 'analog direct' since it bypasses all digital processing circuitry.
Generally, the 'analog direct' feature refers to the ability to bypass all processing on any analog input eg CD, phono, tape.
In your case, for SACD you will only need to hook up the 5.1 output of the player to the 5.1 input of the pre-pro regardless of whether or not it is multi-channel or stereo. This will not be a problem. However, if you are using an external DAC for CD playback, you may want to have 'analog direct' mode available for the rca CD input on the pre-pro.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
thanks for the input. as far as sacd 5.1 channel vs. stereo, i've noticed that most sacd players have a separate 5.1 channel out for multi-channel and a 2 channel out for stereo dsd. perhaps i'm mistaken as i would expect the front channels of the 5.1 out to double as the stereo out but from what i've seen or remember seeing, they are two different sets. i'll have to check into this again. thanks again.
kevin t

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks