Analog, digital, or both?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Charlie S, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Charlie S

Charlie S Auditioning

I recently got a Pioneer SACD/DVD-A player and hooked it up using the analog outputs to my Denon 3803 receiver. Is there any reason to also hook up the digital connection? I'm assuming the analog are good for music/movies/etc.

Thanks,
    Charlie

2. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    I would hook up the digital too, for movies. You can use the analog for movies, but the digital sounds better.... IMHO.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

You MUST use the analog outputs to get high-res audio from DVD-A/SACD.

You can use either for other formats. Which you use will depend on the features in your DVD player (usually bass management, time alignment, crossover adjustments, ect) compared to your receiver (usually better, more adjustments). You should also listen set up both ways, as one set of DACs may be better than the other.

4. Tod Golden

Tod Golden Stunt Coordinator

With my Pio VSX-810 I found that using the digital connection on the 563 provided better sound output.

Tod

5. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

Depends on your reciever. If you feel the DD/DTS decoder in the pio is better sounding that the decoder in your reciever, then you have no call for the digital hook ups. However, they are right, your reciever will most definately have more adjustability. I own the 563a, and while it IS adjustable, I definately prefer my Denon for movie decoding.
    Take it easy.

6. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

You won't be able to apply any DSP/DPL modes unless you connect a digital coax or toslink cable.