What's new

Analog cable Upconversion (?) (1 Viewer)

samNOISE

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew D.
Hi guys (and gals?). Did some searching on the forum, but don't see this question, and seeing as the thread suggests that "there is no such thing as a stupid question"... I'll test the theory :)

Am looking at this receiver:

bigpicturebigsound.com/onkyo-ts-sr606-1522.shtml - Onkyo TX-SR606 Home Theater Receiver - More HDMI Inputs, Better Upconversion: BigPictureBigSound[/url]

…and see that it appears to suggest that it can up-convert the pathetic resolution I am getting from my local cable TV provider and allow me to use a new flat-screen TV at 1080 resolution...

Does this seem realistic or at all plausible? Have any of you experience with this technology? If so, what results?

Appreciate your time.

Andrew D.
cdnav.com

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Despite what advertising blurbs for DVD players & receivers might want you to believe, upconversion is not some magic fairy dust that adds resolution to standard signals and turns them into high-def. Your flat-panel TV (a better term than "flat screen"; all TVs have flat screens these days, even bulky CRTs) *already* upconverts all non-1080p signals it gets to 1080p to fill out its pixels. An external scalar may or may not be marginally better than the one in the TV itself, avoiding introduction of certain types of artifacts or over-softening of the picture, but in any case the improvement if any will pale compared to the effect of getting true high-def content.

It's like starting with a 2 megapixel camera shot vs. a 10 megapixel shot; although you can use software to enlarge both to the same size print, and use more complicated scaling algorithms vs. simpler ones, you really can't overcome the fundamental advantage of more raw pixels to start with.

Get HD source posthaste! Your HDTV (not clear if you have one yet?) should already be able to pick up some unencrypted local HD that is present on most cable systems. Next step would be to get a HD-DVR of some sort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertigofilmfanman
Recent bookmarks