Analog cable still can beat Digital Cable and DSS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael St. Clair, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Michael St. Clair

Last night I watched the latest episode of Farscape on 4:3 NTSC analog cable (watching on a 53" HDTV). As with some other analog cable shows I've watched lately (including some episodes of '24'), the picture quality was excellent.

There was a small amount of analog noise that you will never see on Digital Cable or DSS. But film grain was readily apparent, and the amount of detail beat any Digital Cable or DSS broadcast that I have seen in at least five years. Shadow detail was excellent. Old DSS (DirecTV back before they added locals years ago) was the only thing that came close.

How I would love to see digital broadcast with the detail of good analog cable (and OTA and BUD). Lack of noise does not equal detail.

Your mileage may likely vary.

footnote: I wish I was watching '24' in 16:9 480i. Unfortunately, my digital cable does not carry 'high-res' FOX in addition to the HD CBS, NBC, ABC, and PBS that it currently covers. However, I did once see 16:9 480p (doubled from 480i) '24', and it did beat anything you'll see on OTA, analog cable, and non-HD digital cable.

2. Sujeet Patel

Sujeet Patel Stunt Coordinator

I guess that would depend on your cable provider, and how much they're trying to squeeze through their pipe. My digital cable picture rivals DVD as far as quality goes. It wasn't like this a year ago, but Comcast got their act together in my area and made things right.

And true HD blows everything out of the water. Too bad I've got 5 channels, and none of them are any good.