What's new

Analog Audio "Splitting" ??? (1 Viewer)

Bryan Toth

Stunt Coordinator
OK ... maybe a dumb question (and frankly I'm not sure I'm putting it in the right forum, but as it applies to me and my new Blu-Ray player, it's going here!) Anyway, I just picked up a Samsung BD-P1000 to go along with my Toshiba HD-A1. I currently have the HD-A1 hooked up to my one set of 6-Ch. analog inputs on my receiver (so I could enable Dolby TrueHD) but now I'd like to be able to hook up the BD-P1000 for the lossless PCM tracks. As long as I only had one of the players powered up and sending a signal to the receiver at a time, does anybody think it would be a problem (or even work??) if I got 6 y-adapters for the individual ports on the analog input and then hooked one set to the HD-DVD and one to the Blu-Ray ?????????

Thanks!!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Bryan,

Yes, that would be a mistake. You would "shortcut" each of the channel's outputs of one player with the same channel's output of the other player. Even if one is off all the time, that could still possibly even damage the output circuits.

In theory, it could be done with a resistor in series between each "hot" output connection and the "Y", but I certainly wouldn't advise that in practice!

There are solutions, though, but not as inexpensive as 6 Y-connectors (changing the connections by hand each time would be less expensive, but in the end even hurt the connectors). That solution would be an audio switch. That one is discussed on this forum in another thread on this forum, but beware, there are still a few uncertainties about its operation.

Cees

Steve Blair

Second Unit
I have a toshiba hd player and a panny bd player. You can go to walmart and purchase their component video switcher for $20.00. It works great and myself and others have been using this switcher for months.

Bryan Toth

Stunt Coordinator

Thanks ... I might have to look into that. I read the other thread that Cees mentioned, but I assume you just hook all the analog audio through the video connections on the switcher???

Bryan

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Bryan,

That confused me too, at first. Yes, all those inputs seem to be equivalent analogs, so you use some of the inputs labeled as (one sort of) video for audio channels.

The reservation I expressed above was caused by the fact that although it was clearly indicated as such on the page I referred you to as well, I haven't read yet from someone actually doing it.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks