What's new

Analog and digital inputs for SR 6200 (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Can I connect both analog and digital inputs from, say a LD player or a CD or DVD player to the SR 6200's same named input and toggle the A/D button on the SR 6200's remote in order to go from the actual analog to digital input? Or do I have to actually use completely separate inputs for an analog or digital input?

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Any device or source input on the receiver with both Analog & Digital In can be toggled. I have my DVD connected with composite, Coax and Toslink on my gear. That way it's wifeproof and she's happy.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
OK so if I connect a CD player with optical toslink and RCA's I just press the A/D button to switch when I have the proper component "CD" selected? Likewise with LD or DVD player?

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
composite, Coax and Toslink on my gear
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oops, guess I wasn't thinking. Thanks John.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
OK, I guess I'll crawl behind the beast and do some reconnecting and re-configuring :)

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
John,
And I forgot to use my :b. 'Guess I wasn't thinking again'! :b :b :b
I hate when that happens.:frowning:
On another note...I know you're quite happy with the 6200...but have you given any thought to upgrading to a 7200/8200/9200 lately? I figure you'd probably shoot for the 8200 to justify such a move.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Is the 8200 THX? I wouldn't bother with upgrading unless the 8200 was THX. At least then you'd have the 80 hz crossover. With the 9200, you have not only the THX 80 hz crossover, which is a fair compromise without an adjustable crossover, but there is also PRE-AMP outs and MAIN-AMP ins aswell for those who want to do a custom crossover frequency. I actually would rather a receiver have at least the THX 80hz crossover and Pre-amp outs and main amp in's if it does not have an adjustable crossover. I hate this 100 hz crossover!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes, the 8200 is THX select.
Yes I have been considering the 8200, but with the possibility of the x300 line coming out this year, I think I will hold off until we see what the word is on them. I expect an 8300 and 9300 will be farther off than the 4300/5300/6300/7300, but the 7300 is sounding quite nice already :D Maybe not worthy of an upgrade though, but I will wait to see specs for the 8300 and decide then. :emoji_thumbsup:

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Are those 4300/5300/6300/7300 Marantz's going to have adjustable crossovers or at least the THX 80hz crossover or am I going to have to pull my hair out? I think apart from the cut-offs or drop-outs, I could get external amps to solve my crossover problem, but as I mentioned, the stupid receiver still cuts-off or cuts-out digital signals.

Ferran Mazzanti

Stunt Coordinator
Going back to the original discussion, it's true that a very same device can be connected in several ways to the receiver (6200in my case). As for exemple, I had my CD player connected both digitally and analogically, and I could switch between those two modes using the remote... which leads to the dropouts problem and a way to solve it: at least in my case, dropouts appear only in the digital channel. That means that if your CD player has a decent DAC, you can connect it to the receiver via the analog channel and make those stupid dropouts dissapear ;)
BTW, I experience dropouts only the first 0.3 seconds in the first track of the first CD I listen to...

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
True, I have a CD player that is analog outputs only. Problem is, when you want to adjust bass and treble, you have to put up with the signal going from Digital to Analog in the Cd player, and then from Analog to Digital and then back to Digital again unless you use source direct, which has no bass control.

The analog/digitall function is handy, I just didn't think to use it before. Now I guess I can use it at least for my LD and DVD players. The reason I was asking about it was because I might get a multi-disc player and I'll have to use the CD players DAC for MP3's because it doesn't output the bitstream for decoded MP3's like my DVD player does. No biggie I guess, as long as the Sony's DAC is good enough to play MP3's well, but I figured you'd want to use the best of everything. I guess it depends whether you think that A) MP3's aren't worth worrying about, or B) MP3's should use the best DAC in order to minimize sound quality loss.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Personally, I don't think it will matter much for MP3s. MP3s are already compressed, and I can tell nearly all of the time that I am hearing MP3 (depending on bitrate). I have not heard MP4, but it is supposed to be closer to CD quality.

I hooked my CD player via digital and analog, and stuck with the analog. The DACs in the CA70ES are not bad.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Chris,

Do you mean that rhetorically or specifically?

Most flagship and higher-end receivers feature this and I am for one am very glad for it.

It does seem silly to buy a high-end receiver and then use higher quality external amping to the point that the only use the 9200 amps see is to power some other zone or a set of surrounds, rear, center or otherwise. But people in fact do this. One could also use the 9200 simply as another amp for future use as the system changes. In this way a decent, quality amp never outlives it usefulness.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I like the pre-outs and main amp ins because it allows you to use crossovers of your own, an equalizer or just add external amps for the front two channels lets say.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks