Analog 5.1?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by James Lim, Feb 25, 2004.

1. James Lim

James Lim Auditioning

Hi everyone I'm relli glad that you guys created this site. Learn alot of stuff (it's been hours since i juz surf over your forums).Well i hav a question that I have keep on asking people even HT salesman but couldnt get a good answer.I hope u guys will help me out.

I bought a Sony HIFI in 1999.It has 5 speakers with built-in woofer in 2 front speakers.It doesn't read DVD. The funny part here is it has a 5.1 ch dvd input.(Meaning it has six slot of cable i can plug in from my dvd player...this slots are erm i think is call analog)
    (Please visit this pic of mine...i cant post pic coz i have less than 15 post in foum ...add da http before da address below and no www)

us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/1ca9c87b/bc/954b/__sr_/3be3.jpg?phCCJPABuMVbNMws

1)The doubt here is if i buy a dvd player now and plug into it...Can i experience Dolby Digital?

2)I have check out Dvd Players and i dont see much DVD players that has 6 slot(5.1) output so that i can connect with my HIFI.How?

3)DO i hav to connect my video out from my dvd player to my hifi?Why not straight to TV?

additional question: If i connect my dvd player into my HIFI so is da sound going to be decoded by my DVD or my HIFI? My HIFI only got ProLogic which u allnoes only does a 4 speaker surrond.My DVD player i suppose has a Dolby Digital decoder built-in?

Relli appreciate for your advice...

us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/1ca9c87b/bc/954b/__sr_/e714.jpg?phaLJPABVrcmDgKI

2. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

Did you check out the " Beginner's Primer and FAQ" at the top of this thread? Many of your answers may be there.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

If your current surround sound system has 5.1 inputs, you can use a DVD player with on-board decoders. Most do NOT have on-board decoding, and only output stereo in analog, or DD via a digital connection. Your system won't have the digital connection to enable any decoding of DD or DTS, so you must buy a DVD player that does the decoding, then feeds it into the 5.1 pre-ins on your setup. That will give you full DD/DTS.

4. douglas-b

douglas-b Stunt Coordinator

Douglas Berry
    I found these dvd players that will accommodate your needs at crutchfield.com

Panasonic PV-D4753S
    Pioneer DV-563A
    Denon DVD-1200

5. James Lim

James Lim Auditioning

Thx Alot for you all's advice.