Analog 32" TV under 400 dollars...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jerry Parker, Jun 29, 2003.

1. Jerry Parker

Jerry Parker Stunt Coordinator

I have been watching all my dvds on my small 19" computer monitor. The picture quality is amazing, but the screen is way too small. So I want to purchase a new 32" tube tv. The caveat is that I only have around 400 dollars to spend. It needs to have at least 1 s-video and 1 component input, and I would prefer having 2 s-video.

I do have a question about horizontal lines of resolution. I would also like to use the device as a computer monitor (to play computer games) so it really needs to have at least 600 lines (so it can at least do a marginal 800x600) Is this even possible? If a Tv has 600 lines of resolution, it should be able to do 800x600, right? What about if it has 800? Does that mean it can do 1024x768?

Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

i think apex has a 32" set thats 399, at least i think i saw that last time i was at sams. you may be better off looking at 27" inchers.

3. STLMIKE

STLMIKE Stunt Coordinator

The Wal-Marts in my area have a 32" Panasonic for $388.

4. ShaunLB

ShaunLB Stunt Coordinator

Well, there are plenty of good TV's under $400...but don't rely on using them as monitors for much. All but the most advanced/expensive sets have a rough, rough time trying to display the high resolutions from a PC. Your games may be just fine, but you aren't likely to want to type a paper or read a webpage on it for very long.

5. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Check K-Mart they have a 32" Curtis-Mathes, a Samsung clone, for around $400 I don't know about this years models but they used to have the DVD "Squeeze Trick" & if they don't anymore it probably can be turned on in the Service Menu.You can check the specs. on the set at www.samsungusa.com The big thing I always check for on these lower priced sets is the AUDIO WATTS & if it has BASS, TREBBLE & BALANCE CONTROLS plus the Horizontal Resolution but you have to know how it was measured because companies play with that spec. a lot. You want the EIA measurement.

6. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

You'd be much better off choice-wise and quality-wise if you wait a little longer and save up another $200 for a TV. Bigger is definitely not always better, especially when you're talking about a cheap TV that is just going to show the details of its inadequacies everytime you watch it.

7. Daniel Becker

Daniel Becker Second Unit

Yeah, you might as well forget about computer images on an analog tv. It just isn't going to look good at all. As for the tv under $400.

I would recommend the new Sharp sets. They have a black border around the screens like the Sonys. I don't have model numbers or anything but the new Sharp sets look nice and have an anamorphic squeeze option. If you really want a decent 32" tv you need to be willing to spend at least $500.

One last piece of advice. Try and get yourself a tv with that does the anamorphic squeeze. If your main concern is movies the anamorophic squeeze makes a BIG difference. Trust me! [​IMG]

Dan.B

8. Jerry Parker

Jerry Parker Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys, what is this anamorphic squeeze? Does it make the electron gun reproduce all of its horizontal lines of resolution in a 16:9 space and turns off the rest of the screen?

Daniel: What model numbers are these Sharp sets?

9. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

On the "Squeeze" Yes, that's what it does. Don't rule out that CM set at K-Mart it's as good as any of the lower priced 32" sets. Do a search on it on this board & you should get some info on it. For Sharp sets check Best Buy's website & for some info a local CT, MA, RI chain for the 4th has a 32" Sharp Model S32US60 for $288.00 but I don't know anything about that set. Again, make sure you check for Bass, Trebble & Balance Controls & Audio Watts, especially if the set only has "Variable Audio" Outputs & you want to hook it up to a receiver. If you can live with a 27" set check the Flat Tube Akai (Another Samsung Clone) at Sam's Club for $297.61 It has 800 Lines of Resolution, does the "Squeeze Trick" & has a 20 watt audio amp & there is tons of info on it if you do a search on this board. You might also want to consider the Akai 30" Analog Widescreen set for $398.00 again at Sam's Club. Happy TV Hunting [​IMG]