What's new

Anally Retentive DVD Collecting: A Tale of Madness (1 Viewer)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure whether anal retention falls under the broader 'obsessive compulsive disorder' (which for those of you that have never encountered it before, is usually not a very serious condition) banner, but nevertheless I've suffered from it in various forms for quite a while. Earlier in my teens, it was a medium sized problem. But now its in the extra-small range. But it still crops up in various forms. The most humorous of which is in its impact on my DVD collection. A modest size by any standards (about 90 titles in all), the population of my DVD shelves can easily be separated into two distinct categories: the opened, and the unopened. On receiving a DVD through the post (and since I live in Region 2 but only buy Region 1, this is all I can expect), I'm torn between opening a new disc, thus (could the reader please make air-quotes while reading to maintain purity of intent and comic-value) "spoiling" the disc, or leave it pristine and perfect in its wrapping. The bizarre extension of this is that I also worry about colour-fading from exposure to sun-light to the disc's sleeve's spine, which is particularly ironic, given that I live in London where the sun shines for approximately 4 minutes each year!
Another minor quibbe I have is finger-prints on the disc itself, but that strangely doesn't often bother me. The above phobic manifestations only emerge when I'm dealing with discs I really, really like. For the very best, on occasion I've been compelled to purchase a back-up copy in case a disc is damamged, or the spine really does fade (:laugh: )! I'm trying to use this opportunity to catharticlly exorcise these demons from my mind, although I suspect it won't do any good whatsoever. Perhaps the most ironic thing of all, is that in a few years, I probably won't give a shit about any discs in my collection. Thus rendering all this care and safety, totally pointless.
I hope this hasen't been a boring read. Pray for me. :D

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Damn. Sorry, posted in the wrong forum. Could a md please move this to Software Section please. Thanks.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
At least your activley caring for your disc's. I know more than one person who has taken a DVD out of the player, then rests the disc on the TV while they put a new movie in.
As for the fingerprints: People used to wear cotton gloves when cd's first came out, to protect them from fingerprints, smudges and the like. Still works today.
And buying, and unopening DVD's for collectors value: Nothing crazy about that. Good lord, If I had bought multiple copies (for example) the 2-disc Army of Darkness, The Criterion Collection's Salo, or the tin-box of Akira, and left them unopened, I'd be filthy stinking rich on Ebay!:D But I foolishly didn't buy them when I had the chance :angry:

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
While I don't suffer from quite the same symptoms as you Paul, I believe I definitely am anally retentive. When my roommate asks if he can borrow a disc, I get all itchy and have to watch him to make sure he doesn't "disturb" the order I've placed my discs in. They are in a particular order that I don't care to have altered. He also wanted to borrow one to take over to his girlfriends house. I put my foot down on that one. NO! He can borrow them if they stay in the house and no one but him touches them. And under no circumstances can he borrow any of my collector's discs: Book of the Dead, Halloweed Limited 2-disc, Army of Darkness Limited 2-disc, Criterion Spinal Tap or Silence of the Lambs, etc. etc.

My biggest problems is duplicates. When I originally bought Jurassic Park, I bought the DD version. Then I got a decent home theater system with DTS and bought the DTS version. I was all set to get rid of the DD version, but then I noticed that the DTS one didn't have all the same features. So now I have dupes of Jurassic Park, Lost World, Sixth Sense (Vista and original) and Silence of the Lambs (Criterion and new one). I will probably never watch those supplements, but somehow I can't get rid of them.

Another problem is if I buy one movie in a series, I have to get the whole series. The biggest offender being Planet of the Apes. I really only like the original, but some unknown sick reason I bought the Evolution box set. I don't know why, and I wish I could stop.

Note that I'm being a little sarcastic. I know some of these behaviors are a little odd, but I don't care. I like my DVD collection.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
I think the thing to do is to constantly remind yourself that just because one version has gone OOP that it doesn't mean a film will never be produced again. Between Ebay and studio greed I'm sure that while there may be hiatuses in the availability of rare titles that most films will always be easy to replace.

HD-DVD is coming too, don't assume that the dvds you have now will be the "ultimate" there is. There's always another, better format coming down the road so studios can sell you the same product all over again.

In this case Ayn Rand is right; greed is good.

Jason

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
My glorious roomate once borrowed my OOP copy of Criterion's Dead Ringers while I was at work.
I came home to find the disc, fingerprint smudged, lying on top of the keepcase (he was too lazy to place it back inside apparently) in the front room. So what the heck is this phenomenon of leaving discs on top of their respective jewel cases/keep cases? Are you letting the disc 'breathe' as you would a fine wine?! Is it like letting the disc out 'for some air?!' I want to know! :D
Last week he borrowed my Criterion Haxan without asking; it's now in the possession of some people I don't know.
Whenever I complain about it, he treats me like I'm some anal retentive spaz and sarcastically apologizes. What a jerk..
In other words, Paul, you're not alone. :)
Joseph

Julie K

Screenwriter
I wouldn't call myself compulsive about my discs, but I have only loaned out one a while ago (to someone I trusted to take care of it and he did) and I have bought "back up" copies of Bad Taste - first was the crappy Substance release, and now I have 2 of the Anchor Bay LE.
But that's not what I wanted to say....
Paul, you worry about spoiling the disc - what about that little laser inside that keeps shining on the fragile media each time it's played. I know they say DVDs get no wear, but on a quantum scale, that surely isn't true. Those photons have to jiggle things around a bit.
Just something else to worry about :) ;) :D

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
LOL - Thank God I'm not the only anal-retentive HT fan out there. I get all itchy when my wife thumbs through my modest collection (~115) and doesn't put the DVD all the way back into the rack. I really dislike loaning them out to people, too. It just makes me nervous.
And while we're on the subject, I'm really ridiculous about my components. I figure I put a lot of money, care, and time into selection, use, and tweaking of them, and the last thing I need is for someone to mess with the settings or abuse the stuff. Last year at my bachelor party my brother-in-law cracked open a beer and was ready to use my subwoofer for a chair, and I almost had a heartattack. Later, when I was helpless to do anything about it (for obvious reasons) I found out a bunch of guys watched some movies on my system and I was really upset.
Pray for me, too.

DougWright

Stunt Coordinator
Joseph,

Time for a new roommate. That behaviour is unacceptable at any level, even if it is a non-OOP title. It is just worse for OOP. I do not lend any movies that are OOP to anyone... PERIOD. The few people I do trust to borrow movies know that even the slightest scratch is a purchase and that is why they can only borrow ones that are readily available.

The list of people I trust with DVDs shrinks all the time.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I've only loaned DVD's out that are readily availible.

If something happens to my DVD of Shrek, I can simply buy another copy of it for 19 dollars. I will not loan any rare, OOP, or expensive titles in my collection.

As for my system, I prefer to be the operator.

M

MaxY

Damn, OOP means ONLY ON Property!!!!

Hell they don't even go in my portable.

Loan out an OOP Disc, that is just not happening around here.

Max

Al_S

Second Unit
I don't like to lend out my DVDs anymore. I lent out a DVD to a friend of mine and she didn't return it for like 6 months. I had to remind her every day for like a week before she finally returned it. She was like what's the big deal. I told her she could no longer borrow any DVDs. I also lent a friend of mine like 3 DVDs for a weekend and he returned them right away but then wanted to keep borrowing more DVDs. I told him that was a one time deal and didn't want to keep lending DVDs out.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Time for a new roommate. That behaviour is unacceptable at any level.
I agree. You should tell him you'd better get it back soon, and in pristine condition, or you'll be filing theft charges. Taken without your knowledge or consent sounds like stealing to me. Sometimes you have to make allowances for spouses, but roommates have NO RIGHTS when it comes to your personal property.
I'm the same when it comes to lending items, be it DVD's, CD's or books. I cringe everytime I see my Mom handling a CD I've loaned her by just putting her fingers all over it. No edges, no hub, just held like a sandwich. And one time I loaned her a first edition hardcover book (which I was meticulous about selecting in the store so I got one with a pristine cover) USING THE COVER AS A BOOKMARK! Folded and creased right in there between the pages! Now the covers stay at my place.
Hmmmmm. On second thought, maybe it's just Mom....:D

wally

Second Unit
I know they say DVDs get no wear, but on a quantum scale, that surely isn't true. Those photons have to jiggle things around a bit.
No kidding, remember what that laser did to those concrete blocks, wall, the trees and statue in the quad in Real Genius :D
Be careful out there folks!

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Hmm. I occasionally let my DVDs sit on top of the case upon removal and I sit on my subwoofer all the time.
I'm not big on loaning though. I couldn't possibly say no if someone asked, however, unless what they wanted wasn't an easily replaceable disk. I just wouldn't loan anything OOP. (Or Citizen Kane, which deserves to be flawless. :))
I guess I'm not totally anal.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
The last time I loaned out anything, it was to a friend of my wife's. Her hubby dropped a decorative dagger onto it while re-doing the walls in the living room. It was an OOP title, too! :rolleyes
I don't loan anymore.
As for the subwoofer, I put a silk flower flowerpot on it, so noone is tempted to sit on it! :D

Luke_Khuc

Stunt Coordinator
when someone wants to borrow my cds or dvds, i warn him: "for each scratch that you create on my cd/dvd, i'll break a piece of bone on your body." it works perfectly because they know i have several black belts, two pairs of numchucks and am willing to use them all. :) seriously i tell them to take good care of it. if they damage it, buy me a new one.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
I'm not too keen on lending out my DVDs, either. I take such meticulous care of them that I just KNOW someone else will find some way to mess them up. It's the same with my equipment -- I do NOT like people messing with the calibrated settings. It makes my hair stand on end! I can't imagine what I'd do if someone attempted to sit on my subwoofer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks