An unfortunate experience with DeepDiscountDVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jasoda, Nov 20, 2001.

1. Jasoda

Jasoda Auditioning

I'm just posting this because I am disappointed with DeepDiscountDVDs service and how they handled this problem. I'm including the email correspondence.
    MY INITIAL EMAIL.......
    Hi-
    I'm concerned about an order that I placed last month. I received the following email after I placed the order (please note the order date).
    Thank you for ordering from DeepDiscountDVD.com!
    Your order information appears below.
    If you need to get in touch with us, please send us a new e-mail message to
    mailto:[email protected] instead of replying to this message.
    Order Number:
    Order Date: 09/17/01 Credit Card# ***********
    You requested Standard A/B Delivery
    Item Description Quantity Status
    ------------ ---------------------------------------- -------- ------
    DDCOL051439D DVD : SINGLE WHITE FEMALE 1 OK
    Once again, thank you for ordering from DeepDiscountDVD.com!
    http://www.DeepDiscountDVD.com
    Later I received the following email (again, please note the order date).
    Date: Fri Oct 05, 2001 01:56:23 AM US/Pacific
    To:
    Subject: Order with DEEPDISCOUNTDVD.com -
    We thought you would like to know...
    Your order was shipped today.
    Order Number:
    Order Date: 10/04/01 Credit Card#
    Your package will arrive in 5-10 business days
    WA 98007
    Item Description Quantity Price Status
    ------------ ---------------------------------------- -------- ------ ------
    DDCOL051439D SINGLE WHITE FEMALE 1 14.27 OK
    Subtotal...................... 14.27
    Shipping and Handling......... FREE
    Tax........................... .00
    Order total................... 14.27
    Payment amount: VISA.......................... 14.27
    Thank you for shopping with DeepDiscountDVD.com online!
    We look forward to your next visit at http://www.DeepDiscountDVD.com
    It is now Oct 23rd and the disc has still not arrived. Can you tell me why there are different order dates and why the package
    is not here yet?
    Thank you,
    Jason
    THEIR REPLY.......
    On Tuesday, October 23, 2001, at 01:56 PM, [email protected] wrote:
    Thank you for contacting DeepDiscountDVD.com!
    The first conformation you received because we were going to ship the item out to you but when we went to pull it off the shelf to ship it to you it wasn't there.* We reordered it then reshipped it out on 10/05/01.* That is why you received two conformations.* Thanks.
    Please contact us if you have any questions.
    Best regards,
    DeepDiscountDVD Customer Service
    [email protected]
    (800)264-5076
    *tj
    MY REPLY.....
    Hi-
    I still don't have the disc. It has been 14 mailing days since it was sent. When do you consider something lost or missing?
    In addition, why wasn't I notified that the disc had to be reordered? I could have gone over to Target and purchased it for $1 more and had it weeks ago. My previous orders have arrived in a timely manner and there have been no delays like the one I'm experiencing now.
    Thanks for your quick response,
    Jason
    THEIR REPLY......
    On Tuesday, October 23, 2001, at 02:51 PM, [email protected] wrote:
    Please give us a call at the number listed below and my ext. is 5507.* Thanks.
    Best regards,
    [email protected]
    (800)264-5076
    *tj
    MY REPLY (ABOUT A WEEK LATER)....
    Hi-
    I attempted to call you that Tuesday but you were on your break.
    I just wanted to let you know that the disc has still not arrived.
    Can you send me another copy or just credit my card?
    Thanks,
    Jason
    THEIR REPLY......
    On Sunday, November 11, 2001, at 08:27 AM, [email protected] wrote:
    Your order was not in stock when you received the e-mail.* Our inventory was wrong.* Your item actually shipped out on 11/6/01.* Today is the 9th business day.* Your order should be there within the next 2-3 business days.* Thanks for you continued patience.
    Best regards,
    [email protected]
    (800)264-5076
    *tj
    MY REPLY.....
    Oddly enough the disc still hasn't arrived. Please credit my card and cancel the order. This whole situation has been
    handled very poorly. It has taken 2 months to get the disc shipped while I had been told that it had shipped at least twice
    before it actually was.
    You have great prices but why should I continue to order from your store? How will I know if my disc really shipped when I am told it has?
    Unfortunately, I will be shopping elsewhere from now on.
    Jason
    THEIR FINAL REPLY.....
    We have credited your credit card.* You should receive the reverse charge in the next 2-3 business days.* Thanks.
    Best regards,
    [email protected]
    (800)264-5076
    *tj
    Needles to say I am disappointed with the way the situation was handled. They don't seem to be interested in keeping a customer. I wasn't looking to get freebies or any compensation other than an apology, and they couldn't even do that. It's too bad because they have great prices and I would continue to shop with them if they had handled this better.
    Thanks for letting me get this out of my system. Buyer Beware.
    Thanks,
    Jason

2. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

That does seem pretty shoddy there Jas. But let me ask you, are you saying that you only called them once? If this is the case, I'm sorry, but I'd have to say I would have been a little more persistant.

3. Jasoda

Jasoda Auditioning

Ben-

Thanks for the comment. I guess I just think its sad that I had to call them at all or that resolving the situation fell into my lap. As you can see from their email they were not exactly straight with me and didn't seem to have a clue about what their stock levels were or what was being sent out.

4. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

Yeah, I hear ya man. Thing is, I too have had trouble with DDD trying the email route. I've found that calling them is much more effective, and really very painless - but then, I've never tried getting in touch with any one specific person, so didn't have to deal with them being out. I've ordered heavily with them in the past (I haven't had money for new dvds in some time [​IMG] ) and the only complaint I have is that the shipping does take a while, but hey, at these prices? Sheesh, I couldn't care less - but I do understand that the time facter does not always fall so low on everybody else's priority list. Oh, I'd also like to say that once, they sent a partial shipment, with one dvd missing. I called, and they sent it out pronto. I got it in like 3 days. Again, I spoke to someone on the phone.
    But we all have our own experiences and I am in no way trying to discount yours. I'm just sharing mine with you in the hope that they may give you some perspective and ease your grief. If nothing else, I could always recount my harrowing experience ordering from Troma. Let me just say, wait until DDD ties up your money for six months without sending you any product before you really get pissed. [​IMG]
    p.s., two more things...
    If it's customer service that you really look for, I would suggest 800.com. Their prices have gone up since I used to order from them (I am a CHEAP bastard) but their customer service has always been ultra-top notch. A few months back, I had to order from them again (I don't remember why, maybe they were the only ones that had a dvd for pre-order, or maybe I was trying to get a recently oop title... I forget) and I got the shipment in record time - and was happily surprised to see they still sent out their complimentary packets of microwave popcorn. If it weren't for DDD (and others now) undercutting 800.com in price, I'd stick with 'em.
    Also, for some reason, it seems NOBODY has great luck with DDD on current merchandise. They never seem to have any older titles in stock. I think it has to do with the way they order. I bet they wait til they have so many orders for a particular title, and then place there order from their distributor. I pretty much stick with pre-orders with DDD, with which they do a great job. Several times I've got items well before street date, and they really are cheap. Not to mention, their prices on the A&E bos sets? Wholy mamma, they can't be beat.
    Anyway, I guess that's about it for now... and no, I don't work for DDD. [​IMG]

5. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I'd guess one of 3 thing is happening;

1 going out o business

2 really busy and they don't care

3 just plain incompentent

Brent L

6. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Funny, I've never had a problem with them. I guess I have good luck with DDD. Anyway, one of the reasons I like them so much is that they actually have a phone number to call. I hate the e-mail back and forth crap I get from other online vendors. Most of them are pre-written crap e-mails that come to my inbox immediately after I write them.

7. Don Peskin

Don Peskin Stunt Coordinator

had the same problem with the Fawlty Towers box set. 2 weeks after it was released I still hadn't received any notification it was sent, but it was on my chargecard bill.
    I emailed them 10/29 and they said they were sending out another copy that I should get in 3-5 days. On 11/7 I still did'nt get it and when I went online to email them, I saw I had an email from them saying it was sent on 11/7. After another email it turns out the 10/29 one saying it was sent was wrong as they were out of stock. I finally did get it but I believe they never sent out the 1st one which is why I never got the email confirmation - they just didn't want to admit it.
    P.S. I did want compensation. I emailed to see if they would throw me a 10% off coupon - no luck
    Would I order from them again? Of course, their prices are good and their customer service usually is too.