An S-Video question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonBrown, Feb 19, 2002.

1. JasonBrown

JasonBrown Stunt Coordinator

I've recently upgraded by old DBS Receiver to a DirecTivo unit that an S-Video output (the older one did not). My A/V receiver has 1 S-Video input, but is 'reserved' for DVD player use looking at the manual (it's the JVC 6018VBK). It has an S-Video out (called 'Monitor out') that runs to the TV. The TV has two S-Video inputs (one of which I use for the DVD player currently). If I run an RCA video cable from the DirecTivo to the DBS input on the A/V receiver, and then run an S-Video output from the A/V receiver to the TV, that will *not* utilize S-Video for the DirecTivo, correct?

If I want to use S-Video for the Tivo, I'll need to direct connect it to the TV from S-Video output on the Tivo to the S-Video input on the TV, right? I'm assuming a run of RCA video cable from Tivo to A/V receiver will negate the S-Video, even though there's an S-Video run from A/V output to TV.

I assume if I ran the DVD S-Video output to the A/V DVD S-video input, I wouldn't have to change inputs on the TV to watch DVD as long as I ran an S-Video from 'Monitor out' to the TV S-Video input, but that would have to go in another input than the Tivo S-Video run, defeating the purpose of running it thru the receiver in the first place.

Hope all that made sense :)

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

3. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

I believe there is a cable which can upconvert the composite output from the TIVO (I assume it has it)to S-video. Then you could run S into your TV from the monitor out.

I can't recall the name of the company right now but I'll look it up. Something '...Tributaries' I think, perhaps 'Video'. Last I looked it sold for around $100 retail but that was when it was first developed. Later.

4. David X

David X Stunt Coordinator

Can't you just bypass the receiver for video? That will work since the tv has two s-video inputs. You would loose the receivers on screen display, but you generally don't need that anyway.

directivo s-video and 1 pr analog audio out -> tv input 1

directivo digital audio out -> receiver optical in

dvd player s-video out -> tv input 2

dvd player audio (digital coax/optical) -> receiver dvd digital input

-David

5. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Yea, Thats what I would do. PS/you can plug up all the outputs on your dvd and tivo and dbs. I have cables running everywhere!
    I have a set going direct and a set to the rcvr. The output from the rcvr goes to my 3rd input(rca) in the front of my tv. Although I just switched to svhs on that input.I use this for my brain dead 3802 menu on my rcvr(must have a monitor hooked up). And even though it says DVD, I think you can plug up any svhs input to that jack on your rcvr. [​IMG]
    But who knows, try it. it can't hurt.[​IMG]
    PS again// I think most JVC rcvrs have programmable inputs. Mine does.

6. JasonBrown

JasonBrown Stunt Coordinator

Yes, that is what I ended up doing. Going straight from the DBS to the TV input. Thanks all who helped!