An overlooked sub!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by chris_hunigan, Feb 26, 2003.

1. chris_hunigan

chris_hunigan Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys I have not been back on the forums for awhile. Now that I am, I am awaiting for my dual Stryke AV15's...

I will most likely use the AV15's in my car...Weird isn't it?!?!?

However, you guys I am thinking of putting together an inexpensive sub for my non-exsistant system...

I want you guys to take a look at the JBL GT120...Yes its a car sub, but it models very well and has roughly 12mm of Xmax, which is relatively more than most inexpensive subs...

The GT120 goes for $50 a pop online...
    http://search.shopping.yahoo.com/sea...,d:14489115,w:{nav_position}prc,x:2,k:jbl+gt120,mid:,did:,pf:,pt :

For more info on these subs take a look at:
    http://www.jbl.com/car/product.asp?p...er=GTO&cat=SUB

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...tos&i=109GT120

I am looking for a budget under $300 for the entire sub unit.

This is what I have in mind:

MCM 2.1 cu ft sealed box ($90)
    http://www.mcmelectronics.com/Home/l...71&SKUID=43515

Rythmik Audio Model A350 sub amp ($135)
    http://www.rythmikaudio.com/nonservo_product.htm

JBL GT120 ($50)
    http://www.jbl.com/car/product.asp?p...er=GTO&cat=SUB

Thats under $300 shipped for everything...

To be perfectly honest it comes cheaper than the Adire RAVA...and should look very similar to the the RAVA... Performance, could be slightly different, but I am amazed on how well the GT120 models...

Give me some ideas...!

Cree

2. Erik M

Erik M Auditioning

Cree,
    WOW! I'm pretty impressed with the components you have found here. I think I have some new DIY items to recommend to others for sub building.
    I'm not sure how you found them, but the Rythmik Audio Plate Amp you found looks better than anything I have seen before. It's less money than the other 350Watt amps just like it, and it has some great switches to change or disable the EQ instead of needing to dissasemble and solder anything. It looks to be from the same plate amp manufacturer as the Apex Senior Amp ($179) and Stryke AMP350 ($224), but much cheaper at $135 and with better features! [​IMG]
    That Sub encosure looks like a great value too. It's 1/2 the price of most others out there, and has a nice oak finish. It's also nice that they use MDF instead of Particle board and the grill sounds pretty solid too. It looks like exactly the one they use for the Rava to me.
    I think the sub you picked out has some great potential too. I don't care if it's a "car" sub or a "home" sub, I just look at the specs. Alot of "car" subs have a nice small Vas that lets you keep the enclosure small. If you get the sub to work in the box the way you want, and it is made of good materials then it should work. If it models well in the box you want to use, then I say go for it. It's not top of the line, and you might overpower it with that amp, but it's at the right price. If you wanted to upgrade later, you could probably swap it out with an AV12 later w/o too many box changes.
    Good luck and let us know how your project goes!
    Thanks - Erik

3. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

What a great woofer! Good find. Thanks for sharing. This looks like the new budget king. Right up there with the used original SVS woofers except these are brand new and they're apparantly available anytime vs. waiting for somebody to sell their SVS woofer.

4. BrianJ>Y

BrianJ>Y Stunt Coordinator

Great find, you may have just pieced together my future subwoofer[​IMG] Wondering why these items haven't been mentioned by anybody on these forums. I'm assuming the amp will perform as well or better than the PE 250 watt and that enclosure is really cheap! Almost sounds too good to be true...If you do go ahead and order these items, please let us know how everything works out, I'm just a bit skeptical right now.

-Brian

5. JimPeitersen

JimPeitersen Second Unit

I've used the MCM enclosure before and can say that it is amazinly solid, regardless of price. Watch for MCM's "free-shipping" deals, and you can buy a quality enclosure for a great price. Some people have suggested that it is the same enclosure that Adire uses for the Rava sub, but I can't confirm this as fact. I've also heard people's positive comments about the Rythmik plate amp.
    JP

6. BrianJ>Y

BrianJ>Y Stunt Coordinator

Great, thanks Jim. About these MCM enclosures, anybody know if they would benefit from a selfmade port for a little more extension down low for HT? Also, a Shiva or Titanic should fit without any problems right(any 12in sub?)?

-Brian

7. Rob Formica

Rob Formica Stunt Coordinator

I must admit that they are all interesting components although shipping enclosures can become very expensive.

I would be curious on how the JBL driver performs in real tests as it does model very well! I did a quick paper comparison to the shiva and it makes me wonder why more people aren't using the JBL?

8. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I actually own the enclousure (paid only $20 shipping when it was on sale for $89) and it comes with a choice of a 10" or 12" cutout. The dual binding posts from Northcreek fits nice and snug on this (it seemed to be a perfect match) and I use a BP1201 (the older version) in my bedroom system (at the time I was thinking about putting one of my Shivaes in it but decided not to for some unknown reason). The only really bad thing about the enclousure is than it's not braced and you'll need to drill holes for any kind of spike kit. The good news is that it does come double-boxed and is really a pretty solid cabinet that requires minimal bracing.

9. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Looks like it'll do very respectably in either sealed or ported box. Fairly close to the shiva performance wise. Matched w/ one of the $90 PE 250watt amps (scratch and dent) and a DIY box, someone could have a great sub for well under $200.

One question... when i input the parameters from the whitepaper on the JBL site and modeled a ported box, the vent match didn't seem to work at all... is there a parameter missing? I wouldn't want to build a ported box for one of these w/out knowing if the vent match is in the green. I'm guessing w/ dual 3" ports that there shouldn't be any problem w/ port noise.

I'll definatly reccomend this to any friends interested in a DIY sub.

10. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Wow, I just relooked at the website and remember when this enclousure went for $119, seems like a decent deal if someone wants a sealed sub for medium and smaller rooms.

11. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

The information is there. If it knows the piston surface area and can plot the excursion then it should be able to plot vent air speed.

But seeing as this driver has just slightly less excursion than a Shiva I'd say any porting option that's adequate for a Shiva (in terms of vent air speed) would be adequate for this driver. So even a single 3" port would probably work fine so long as it is flared on both ends. That comes straight from the Adire Alignment white paper for the Shiva. Two 3" ports or a single 4" port would be okay even without flares.

12. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

MCM has free shipping right now, expires today.

Unfortunately, it's for $100 + orders, so you need to add-on to the sub enclosure to qualify.

I can't find a terminal insert to fit the 3 x 3?/? opening in the back on their site, however. Lots on incomplete / partial descriptions.

13. chris_hunigan

chris_hunigan Stunt Coordinator

You guys have given me great advice. I really think the DIY JBL would do quite well within my apartment. However, since I did not catch the free shipping on the MCM enclosure, I think I am going to stick with the original plan and have a custom box built for a single Stryke AV15. For one thing, the AV15's are paid for, plus the only thing that I need to do is purchase an amp...hopefully the Rhythmik 380 watt amp and a custom box. The custom box with laminate should run me close to around $100.

So I think its going to be a 5-6 cu ft slot ported box + Rhythmik 380 watt amp + Stryke AV15 = sonic bliss...

This is going to be my final approach...

Any suggestions...comments...advice...!

Cree