What's new

An over-mowing neighbor (1 Viewer)

Jason_Els

Screenwriter

Yes it does! Adverse possession. If you never use that strip and he always mows it he can come back at you and claim it as his own (usually after about 7 years of this).
Any lawyers want to chime in?

Jason_Els

Screenwriter

Yes it does! Adverse possession. If you never use that strip and he always mows it he can come back at you and claim it as his own (usually after about 7 years of this).
Any lawyers want to chime in?

Blu

Screenwriter
I wouldn't mind either of you as neighbors, I hate mowing my yard. I'd let both of you have your fair shot at keeping my yard looking nice!

Blu

Screenwriter
I wouldn't mind either of you as neighbors, I hate mowing my yard. I'd let both of you have your fair shot at keeping my yard looking nice!

CRyan

Screenwriter
Nah. You could not take ownership of a strip of land due to mowing it every so often. It is not a piece of property I am neglecting as I am mowing it about every two weeks. Cases like this could not stand up in court with very detailed property lines existing with the city. Cases such as you are suggesting usually require the other party fencing (or something to that effect) or utilizing the land as a part of theirs for several years. At this point the actual owner has to request that the fence be removed from their property or to cease use of the property within a set period of time.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Nah. You could not take ownership of a strip of land due to mowing it every so often. It is not a piece of property I am neglecting as I am mowing it about every two weeks. Cases like this could not stand up in court with very detailed property lines existing with the city. Cases such as you are suggesting usually require the other party fencing (or something to that effect) or utilizing the land as a part of theirs for several years. At this point the actual owner has to request that the fence be removed from their property or to cease use of the property within a set period of time.

ClintS

Stunt Coordinator
I recently had the same issue in my newish house. The solution was to initially talk to the neighbor. She thought that was were the property line was. Second was to call the survey company that layed out the neighborhood. The survey guy came out a couple of days later and marked the boundaries of the lot with stakes and flags (no fee he was out doing a new road anyways). The boundary is clearly marked and the neighbor mows where she is supposed to. I mow my grass about an 1" higher and that was the reason I gave her for asking politely to stay on her side. I think communication is key its very easy to get hostile in this type of scenario. If that hadnt of worked I would have moved up my plans to install a fence.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks