What's new

An over-mowing neighbor (1 Viewer)

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor
Dude,
Don't be afraid to talk to him about it. Even if he does take offense it is your property we're talking about. What if he was just borrowing your car? If your truly that worried about offending him (which he is offending you right now) Then spray paint a line on your property line and when he asks (because who wouldn't) tell him your marking it for some project like a sprinkler system etc..

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Earlier this spring, my neighbor ran over one of my sprinkler heads with his mower, destroying the head. I found out when I was activating the system and noticed a stream of water spouting up in the air from that head. He was outside and noticed as well, came over, looked at it with me, and said, "I wonder if that was the loud noise I heard when I was mowing over here the other day?". Hmmmm, ya think????? Found chopped up pieces all over the area as well. Now he's a nice enough guy, but didn't even offer to help with the replacement charge. Since it was only $20 dollars or so, I didn't make a stink, but it would have been nice for him to offer. Anyways, the moral of the story is, you should talk to neighbor about overmowing before something like this happens to you to cause any more animosity. That is, if you have a sprinler system I guess.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Earlier this spring, my neighbor ran over one of my sprinkler heads with his mower, destroying the head. I found out when I was activating the system and noticed a stream of water spouting up in the air from that head. He was outside and noticed as well, came over, looked at it with me, and said, "I wonder if that was the loud noise I heard when I was mowing over here the other day?". Hmmmm, ya think????? Found chopped up pieces all over the area as well. Now he's a nice enough guy, but didn't even offer to help with the replacement charge. Since it was only $20 dollars or so, I didn't make a stink, but it would have been nice for him to offer. Anyways, the moral of the story is, you should talk to neighbor about overmowing before something like this happens to you to cause any more animosity. That is, if you have a sprinler system I guess.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Exactly. My family lived in the same house for 34 years and we knew only a few of the dozens of neighbors we had by sight, never mind name. The neighbors we had the longest was the most familiar to us and that was only because we had a cat that decided to live part time at each of our houses and sometimes we had to call over for the cat to be sent home. Other than that, no socializing, no trips, no parties and no problems! We kept out of their business and they kept out of ours. Violaters of this rule (and those that wanted to be "friendly") found soon after moving in what the status quo was.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Exactly. My family lived in the same house for 34 years and we knew only a few of the dozens of neighbors we had by sight, never mind name. The neighbors we had the longest was the most familiar to us and that was only because we had a cat that decided to live part time at each of our houses and sometimes we had to call over for the cat to be sent home. Other than that, no socializing, no trips, no parties and no problems! We kept out of their business and they kept out of ours. Violaters of this rule (and those that wanted to be "friendly") found soon after moving in what the status quo was.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

That's reason enough to talk to him. Just tell him you like to keep your lawn higher and when he mows into your yard it's difficult to keep your lawn uniform and looking neat.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

That's reason enough to talk to him. Just tell him you like to keep your lawn higher and when he mows into your yard it's difficult to keep your lawn uniform and looking neat.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Well, it's nice to hear I'm not an anomaly. I hear about some people knowing their neighbors really well, so I wonder if I'm perceived as antisocial. I do like my privacy, but I'm never rude to anyone should I be approached. I just prefer to keep to myself is all. I did have one neighbor I wound up doing my best to avoid because he just talked way too much for my taste. The new family is much better in that respect, and as a result I wind up being a little more friendly myself.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Well, it's nice to hear I'm not an anomaly. I hear about some people knowing their neighbors really well, so I wonder if I'm perceived as antisocial. I do like my privacy, but I'm never rude to anyone should I be approached. I just prefer to keep to myself is all. I did have one neighbor I wound up doing my best to avoid because he just talked way too much for my taste. The new family is much better in that respect, and as a result I wind up being a little more friendly myself.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

I think that adage goes back before Frost and in my reading "Mending Wall" questions the building of fences between people. Not to say I don't think the adage to be true, but then I also appreciate Frost's perspective on how silly it can be (as perhaps evidenced by the content of this thread).

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

I think that adage goes back before Frost and in my reading "Mending Wall" questions the building of fences between people. Not to say I don't think the adage to be true, but then I also appreciate Frost's perspective on how silly it can be (as perhaps evidenced by the content of this thread).

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Hey, I'm from the Boston area, so I'm sure I am anti-social.:D I have lived down south (NC) and they have a different way of dealing with neighbors. They are extremely friendly, socializing and having block parties. Then as soon as someone leaves, the ones that are left all talk trash about them. Yep, that's what I call fun for the whole family!

Me, I much prefer "anti-social".

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Hey, I'm from the Boston area, so I'm sure I am anti-social.:D I have lived down south (NC) and they have a different way of dealing with neighbors. They are extremely friendly, socializing and having block parties. Then as soon as someone leaves, the ones that are left all talk trash about them. Yep, that's what I call fun for the whole family!

Me, I much prefer "anti-social".

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
WOW! I'm surprised to read that most are immediately jumping to the conclusion that this guy is doing this to either make his yard look bigger, or because he's a jerk. :eek:

Maybe he thinks this is where the property line really ends or maybe he's just doing it to be "neighborly". My parents neighbor always helps us out by cutting part of our lawn, or even snow blowing our side walks in the winter.

I'd definitely say something to him, but DON'T go into it assuming he is doing it for the wrong reasons. Assume he is being nice. Tell him that you appreciate it, but don't want him to do it anymore.

Who knows, maybe he does think this is where his yard actaully ends and will be glad that he no longer has to cut so much grass.

It may be just that easy. But if he does give you crap, then you can be unfriendly.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
WOW! I'm surprised to read that most are immediately jumping to the conclusion that this guy is doing this to either make his yard look bigger, or because he's a jerk. :eek:

Maybe he thinks this is where the property line really ends or maybe he's just doing it to be "neighborly". My parents neighbor always helps us out by cutting part of our lawn, or even snow blowing our side walks in the winter.

I'd definitely say something to him, but DON'T go into it assuming he is doing it for the wrong reasons. Assume he is being nice. Tell him that you appreciate it, but don't want him to do it anymore.

Who knows, maybe he does think this is where his yard actaully ends and will be glad that he no longer has to cut so much grass.

It may be just that easy. But if he does give you crap, then you can be unfriendly.

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
Well I cut my neighbor's since I used to use his mower. I never thought that this would make my lawn look bigger. Heck even after I got my own mower I still do his when I'm cutting mine.

Funny thing though, last month his wife came out bitching at me since I started at 8AM on a Saturday morning:D She later asked my wife if I was pissed.

Peace out.

ace peterson

Second Unit
I'll be patient and bring it up to him sometime. I like that idea about spraypainting a line and say "I'm marking out for sprinklers." Good idea! I don't think I'll do that, though. This is what neighbors have to endure with each other. I'll be a nice guy about it.
Thanks for the suggestions!

PS- I think he really is just trying to be "neighborly".

ace peterson

Second Unit
I'll be patient and bring it up to him sometime. I like that idea about spraypainting a line and say "I'm marking out for sprinklers." Good idea! I don't think I'll do that, though. This is what neighbors have to endure with each other. I'll be a nice guy about it.
Thanks for the suggestions!

PS- I think he really is just trying to be "neighborly".

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
you acknoledge your neighbor's existence?
I do everything I can to block out my neighbors. Sometimes they say hi, and that makes it more difficult. But mostly they just watch TV real loud and piss me off. :D

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
you acknoledge your neighbor's existence?
I do everything I can to block out my neighbors. Sometimes they say hi, and that makes it more difficult. But mostly they just watch TV real loud and piss me off. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks