What's new

An Open Letter to Ultra-Violet Haters (1 Viewer)

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
You are not entitled to an iTunes digital copy just because you purchased a DVD or Blu-ray. The digital copy was always just an added bonus. For years, only people who used an iTunes device or a PlaysForSure Device (and I don't know anyone who did) were able to enjoy digial copies. The studios decided that the millions of people who owned an Android phone or tablet should also be able to enjoy digital copies. So they developed a new system to distribute digital copies to any type of device with an UV enabled app, (vudu, flixster, or cinema now) with more to come. I think it was very smart. Finally people who don't use apple products can enjoy watching movies on their smartphones, tablets, gaming consoles, and SmartTV's. And guess what, Apple fans are not excluded from the fun. I have an iPhone5 and an iPad mini and I can watch my extensive UV collection on both using the vudu app. I am not so arrogant to think that only apple fans should be able to watch movies on thier devices. I am tired of all the iTunes users complianing that they aren't given a free iTunes copy. Guess what, you can still buy an iTunes copy in the iTunes store! For the past 3 years android owners got nothing! Now we all can enjoy digital copies. If you want to whine and moan that it doesn't work with your Apple TV because it doesn't work with iTunes, then pressure Apple to join with the rest of the industry, because UV is quickly becoming an industry standard. And I love how cheap it is to upgrade any of the hundreds of DVD's that I've bought over the last 10 years to Hi-Def via the D2D program at Wal-Mart. Try doing that with iTunes. You have to double dip.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I disagree with your use of the word "upgrading" and the fact that you never own your UV titles, they can be denied to you at any moment means it continues to be a bunch of bullshit used by the studios to counteract the fact that they still haven't figured out how to monetize the internet.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I'll be honest, I find both UltraViolet and iTunes digital copies total garbage. They are garbage quality, they are inefficient as hell, and their DRM sucks, bad. Sorry. Now that more have come out with ways to just use DLNA over the internet, I have no problems streaming full MKV storage on my local network to my Windows Phone and to my iPad. And I get those with everything I buy, period, without any stupid card redemptions and other hoops.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
If we're seriously replying to this, I've gone on record in the past as saying I really disagree with the fact that he keeps calling the Walmart plan "upgrading." You're buying something a second time, only it's cheaper than iTunes. That's it. There's no "upgrade" about it. "Upgrade" is a definable term and if you're applying it to the Walmart deal you have to apply it to iTunes as well. It's a marketing term, and again: apparently it's working like a charm.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
mattCR said:
I'll be honest, I find both UltraViolet and iTunes digital copies total garbage.  They are garbage quality, they are inefficient as hell, and their DRM sucks, bad.   Sorry.   Now that more have come out with ways to just use DLNA over the internet, I have no problems streaming full MKV storage on my local network to my Windows Phone and to my iPad.  And I get those with everything I buy, period, without any stupid card redemptions and other hoops.
This.
And, i couldn't not be more apathetic about a movie in "the cloud", or ultraviolet...or whatever you want to call it. So, i cannot say i HATE Ultraviolet, but i sure do not care about it. I usually throw those download discs away.
Hey, i have iTunes match, but i still OWN my CDs. If the cloud went away tomorrow, all i would lose is the 50 or so songs i bought from iTunes.
Give me something i can hold, in HD, that a studio will not take away from me...DIVX.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Rick; Folks will pay for the codes of both varieties. If you are tossing your itunes codes anyway PM to me, i will make sure they go to a good home if you aren't gonna sell em =p

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Sam Posten said:
Rick; Folks will pay for the codes of both varieties. If you are tossing your itunes codes anyway PM to me, i will make sure they go to a good home if you aren't gonna sell em =p
Sure. I toss the codes (and discs) all the time. I will keep you in mind the next time i get any of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks