An open letter to all studios about Security Tags

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GaryEA, Jun 4, 2002.

1. GaryEA

GaryEA Second Unit

These are the honest words of an angry DVD customer.

One of the many aspects of the format that I enjoy is the overall presentation. The art, the style of case used, whether if it is an unusual design - I love it.

Now while I can understand the many reasons to protect your product from theft, I do not think it should be at the cost of the presentation. This goes especially for the security tags, items that seem to lazily placed in the most obvious of places at the cost of the art or text.

Could you please begin to reconsider your approach in the application of security tags? Perhaps you could incorporate the tag into the design of the package and placed in a discrete place away from text or art? You've already got shrink-wrap, and up to three sides of cellophane security tape. Neither of these are obtrusive or ugly. It's when you get inside you'll find tags place anywhere without regards of ruining the art or blocking text (especially with the clear Digipaks or "Ultimate" cases).

I'm sorry, but in my view this practice has become sloppy. Either place the security tag on a disposable piece of paper, or design your packaging so that these admittedly useful tools do not ruin the DVD after it has been opened.

As a customer who has zero intention of stealing your product, I should not have to spend time trying to remove these tags, writing to get replacements, lobbying for a new approach/solution, or simply having to live with a product which I feel has been left damaged.

I hope all studios will reconsider these practices, as well as pass along solutions to vendors as well.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
    Gary Annett

2. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Agreed. Why can't they just place it loos inside. Then after you open the shrink wrap you can throw it out.

3. Richard Ruffner

Richard Ruffner Stunt Coordinator

I agree, I've only bought two of Universal's Ultimate Editions (Notting Hill, Meet Joe Black) and was not happy to discover this ugly as* security tag right in the middle of the clear plastic, I did manage to get the things out by prying the two sides apart, but why should I have to risk damagin these cases like this. With Citizen Kane, I had to give up and leave the thing in there.

4. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

It would be great if the thin security tags could be imbedded in the cardboard or tucked behind the cover art for easy removal (not glued on). In fact, even if the current security tags were included but not glued, that would make the situation 100% better.
    I have noticed that some new keepcase releases have ditched the security tape, and I want to give that [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

What I've REALLY found annoying is the labels put on the top and sides of snapper cases- they used to be outside on the shrink wrap but now they've stuck them on the cardboard! I've left them on most of mine because once I took it off of one and it peeled off part of the printing along with it.

6. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

I use a dryer to heat up the sticker and it comes off quite easily, but if it was just loose in the package then that would make it so much easier for me. [​IMG]

7. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

8. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

The tags are stupid. They do not stop someone with a razor blade from opening the case and taking just the DVD itself, which is much smaller and easier to conceal.