What's new

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Enjoy it because I'm afraid that we're going to see fewer and fewer releases in physical media, especially of older films.

As the rental market has shifted away from physical copies to streaming, it's hardly surprising sales are down.
I have noticed that while the number of physical units may be down, there still seems to be a healthy release of catalog titles. It may just be that the units sold of new titles are diminishing, but catalog titles are retaining their sales volume. I see this continuing for some time.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Physical media is still the future who wants low quality streams you do not control which can, & will disappear as licences expire yet physical discs are still playable as you own the licence to watch that media in your own home.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Physical media is still the future who wants low quality streams you do not control which can, & will disappear as licences expire yet physical discs are still playable as you own the licence to watch that media in your own home.
The low quality stream might be like that in the UK, but I'm not having any such issues with my streaming here in Michigan. Streaming has come a long way quality-wise since I first tried streaming several years ago. IMO, streaming is a nice companion with my extensive disc library that numbers in the several thousands.

MatthewA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Agreed. I'm not knocking streaming as a technology in and of itself, and it does make me more likely to give things a chance that I never would have otherwise, but it will not replace actual physical media ownership. And you actually have to have something to stream in the first place. It's just like streams in nature; without water, they're just holes in the ground.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Streaming is *great* for renting, but physical media still rules for ownership.

This fact will be driven home soon by two factors:

* ISPs imposing monthly data caps in order to make up for lost revenue due to “cord-cutting”. Comcast has already started doing this in markets where they are the only viable high speed internet provider.

* The loss of “Net Neutrality” which will allow ISPs to charge a premium for certain sites and/or streaming sources.

The combination of these two factors will make physical media ownership a highly desirable alternative to streaming: Viewing a DVD/Blu-ray/UHD disc will not eat into your monthly data cap; and should an ISP decide to impose an “entertainment surcharge” for accessing Netflix, Amazon, iTunes, and/or Vudu you can still pull your favorite movie down off the shelf; thereby bypassing the surcharge.

The “Joe Six Packs” of the world have made streaming their current preferred choice for viewing and “owning” movies. (I have even viewed YouTube videos of movie reviewers proudly showing us their “DVD purge” of their physical collections.) That favortism is based on current ISP practices of unlimited data via a flat monthly fee with no regard to the source being streamed. That party is coming to an end and the “Joe Six Packs” of the world will soon regret their very premature “DVD purges”!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucrin
Recent bookmarks