An open appeal to Celine Dion....

Discussion in 'Music' started by Danny Tse, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

While I was driving home tonight, ironically, I heard your version of "I Drove All Night". I almost punched out my car CD receiver and lost control of my car. Let's be honest here....your version is pretty bad. Have you not heard the Roy Orbison version (the video of which starred Jason Priestly and the enchanting Jennifer Connelly) or the Cyndi Lauper version? Whereas you just scream out the lyrics, Orbison's and Lauper's version made the listener feel the urgency written within the lyrics. First, you murdered "The Power of Love" (previously covered by Air Supply, just for your reference), then you killed "If You Ask Me To" (previously covered by Patti LaBelle). I hope your new Las Vega$ gig will keep you out of the recording studio for the next several years so my (and million other's) ears can heal. That's it.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Danny, I am not a huge Celine Dion fan by any means, but I can deal with her. Now, Shania Twain gets on my nerves in a big, big way. Sure, she looks great, but she can't sing. Her voice is so grating on that "I'm gonna getcha" song. Yuck. I can't stand her. O.K., I'm done ranting. [​IMG]

3. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

And I can't stand either of them. While we're on the subject, I just loved Faith Hill's comment in the current issue of Rolling Stone regarding how she doesn't have time to write her own songs.

If by "time" she meant "talent," then I agree.

[/rant]

4. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Look on the bright side, guys, we haven't heard much from CHER recently [​IMG]

5. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

7. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Celine Dion should be exiled to St. Elba.[​IMG]

8. TomCW

TomCW Second Unit

9. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

The only Dion that matters wasn't female.

10. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I haven't even mention Celine Dion's cover of AC/DC's "You Shook Me All Night Long" on last years VH1 Divas show (coming to SACD, BTW). Talk about murdering a song. The other day I was watching TV and actually enjoying a Chrysler TV ad....until Celine Dion screamed out some lyrics. I almost had a "Mary Hart moment" as experienced by Krammer on "Seinfeld". [​IMG]

BTW, Celine Dion's performance at the Superbowl earned her a "Jeers" in next week's TV Guide (The Simpsons on the cover).

11. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

The only Celine that matters wasn't female [​IMG]

12. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Danny:

That reminds me of another recent "Diva/AC/DC Moment," namely Shania on the cover of RS wearing an AC/DC t-shirt, accompanied by her photo op at CBGBs.

Yeah, like this woman would ever be caught dead in a place like CBGBs. And if it weren't for her husband, she wouldn't know an AC/DC song if it clobbered her.

13. Wes Larkins

Wes Larkins Stunt Coordinator

Im not big on music of her type but shes got one of the greatest voices today, whats wrong with her voice ? lol I always thought it was great, I have 2 of her SACD Multichannel CD's and they are awesome. Look at her record sales ? over 100 million in less than 10 years is she that bad lol ? I dont think so

14. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

15. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I didn't know the other versions are no llonger available.

Personally, I like Celine Dions version. I haven't been able to stand any of her previous stuff, but what I've heard of the new record has actually been pretty good.

/Mike

16. Wes Larkins

Im only 20 and I never new it was an older song until my mom mentioned something about it being an old hit

I have her new album "One Heart" and believe it or not its sounds much different from anything that she has done, not the ballad celine anymore theres more pop/rock sound to the songs. Its a good album (dont judge until you listen to it)

I like celines music shes got some good stuff, but i kinda got tired of all the ballads from the 90's but her last album was different from anything she has done and this new one is even more different from the last

17. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

18. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Everyone knows of the Three Tenors.

Thank God no one has thought of the 3 Divas - Celine, Cher and Shania

Hope I didn't just cast an evil spell?

PS I just bought the Tony Bennett - kd lang Collaboration album, very good album.

19. Wes Larkins

Who's KD Lang ?

Out of the megapop divas you have

Celine, Shania, Faith, Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston (fell off the boat), Tina Turner, but my all time favorite is Gloria Estefan, shes a great great performer. Ive seen her in a concert and it was the best show that I had ever seen, not only her music is awesome but her personality and they way she carries herself makes her 10 times better I think.

Gloria's Greatest Hits Multichannel SACD is awesome, and the Alma CaribeƱa: Caribbean Soul is good its just a Stereo SACD but they are both awesome

20. Wes Larkins

Forgot about Madonna

Cher ? I dont like Cher I wouldnt call her a MegaPop Diva well maybe but record sales, concert sales would you put Cher in a group with Gloria, Mariah, Celine, Madonna, Shania Twain,

I wouldnt Cher is in her own little place