What's new

An official announcement of Star Trek: TOS will soon be upon us.... (1 Viewer)

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Paul -

Yes. The shot in my siggy is from "Charlie X." That's the Antares next to the Enterprise. I really do like this shot. I think the lighting is perfect in this one and that the Enterprise has a real sense of scale.

Doug -

Thanks for supplying the link. They have a gallery of comparison shots accompanied by a small summary by Mike Okuda of what they did and why. I agree with most of the reasoning. Another one of my favorite remastered shots is this one:

The Enterprise in the Great barrier in "Where No Man Has Gone Before."

ReggieW

Screenwriter
btw,

The new siggy is the Enterprise within Earth's atmosphere in "Tomorrow is Yesterday." Imho, a vast improvement over the poorly done shot in TOS. The background utilizes real satellite imagery of the Nebraskan landscape supplied to the CBS Digital crew by JPL (Jet Propulsion Laboratory).

How cool is that.

btw - I do not think this set will retail for over $150.00 for S1. I think the $250 predictions are pretty outrageous.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
What are the guesses for how many episodes per disc?
How many eps in the 1st season?
Thanks.

First season on SD DVD was 8 discs.
On sale now at Amazon for $67.49US.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I guess it IS OK! ;-)
Thanks for the link. :)
My fave shot is of the 'salt mine'! Looks like something right out of...
Star Trek! :-0

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
just went back and stepped thru all the available shots- I may have spoke too soon about the Planet shot, as it looks like most of the other planet exteriors in other eps are of the refined post SW era variety- glossy, airbrushed terrain topped by wispy clouds with a thin blush of atmosphere visible along the edge.
By and large though, most of the alterations look not only reasonable, but thoughtful and respectful. 'Bout the only nits I would pick would be the desire to see them stick with some of the original funkier colored lighting on new models and backgrounds.
Otherwise, I'm only a casual fan of the show-but I think this release is vaulting to the top of the list of what I'm looking forward to in the fall.

I don't own a tv anymore, so I can catch any of the syndicated eps.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
If this is true, they must be using different elements then the downloadable HD episodes on live. Reimaging is in 16x9.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Just let your wife know you understand the concept of double dipping. There is always a better version around the corner.:D On second thought, maybe that would not be such a good idea.:)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I think the shots were rendered 16x9 but composed for 4x3.

Goto the like above and download some of the videos. They seem to work just fine in 4x3.

Doug

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member

Yes, the Remaster team was future proofing the work done here. The idea is that in the event of any future versions of TOS, they would have the material already done in 16x9. But I could never see how they can make the live action also 16x9 without pillarboxing the live action. That would be wrong.

The trekmovie.com site is really good at doing weekly updates for all the new remastered shows and they have vfx reels and screen grabs for those who couldn't see it

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
I think this may be the first title I wait specifically for the Blu version. The only combo I currently have that actually makes sense is HD-DVE (with the SD version for the tutorials). Paramount is terrible about milking the fans, and the "combo premium" is just another excuse to do so again. Just look at the crap they are pulling with MacGyver....

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Well for me Star Trek is one of those titles that I'd want both in HD and SD. The portability of SD being a major factor.

Doug

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I was wondering if the Blockbuster news a few weeks ago about supporting Blu-Ray from that date onward would have any effect on future releases such as this one. There was no definitive date for the Blu-Ray version of TOS-R, just sometime down the line after the HD discs.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Thank for the link, Dave. While I seldom venture out of the safety of this forum, I think I will most definitely take a look.:)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, it's a full blown geekathon in there (and I am one myself before anyone takes offense...)
So, which lucky HDdvd owner in the Bay Area is gonna pick these up so's I can come over and keep them company...?
I'll bring the beer...!
The new CGI'd versions they are currently showing in SD are butchered all to hell for more commercials. Also, only in SD...
;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks