An ode to xena

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Franklin, Jun 24, 2001.

1. Mike Franklin

Mike Franklin Stunt Coordinator

This is a thread to the Memory of Xena the warrior princess and her faithful and beautiful side Gabrielle. I have been a loyal fan since the beginning and I will truly miss the show. Xena went out in true Xena fashion the last ep. was awesome, I cant wait to Lucy Lawless in her next show I know it will be good. There is already talk for her to play Wonder Woman in the up coming movie.
    FAREWELL XENA WARRIOR PRINCESS!
    ------------------

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Can't say I saw it. Unlike "Voyager", which drove me away just via ineptitude, "Xena" seemed to actively push me away. By the end, all the fun recurring characters (Salmonius, Joxer, Autolycus, Cupid) were gone, the main characters had been dragged through so much misery, and I'd spent so much time actually disliking Xena and Gabby at different times, that I wasn't around to see it.

3. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

I must say, after about the third or fourth season, I just kinda quit watchin, but until then, I had to watch every single week. That one season that started with all the witchie-poo stuff really did it in for me.
    I guess also that my life has got to a point that I just don't "schedule" my activities to coincide with t.v. anymore. It didn't help things much that my local stations kept jackin' the time slots. Hell, the local network affiliate decided to drop it altogether a few years back (when VIP came on the scene).
    I really meant to watch the last two shows, as closure, but for some reason or another, just wasn't around a t.v. when they aired. One day I do hope to get around to catching the last couple of seasons, but I just don't schedule my actvities around episodic t.v. anymore.
    Hopefully, these shows will be released on dvd soon. I've got the first two season box set tapes, and whoever sells 'em keeps callin' me askin' if I want to buy the later seasons. I keep tellin' them to put 'em out on dvd, but then they act like they have no intention of doing so. Oh well. Hope their license ends soon!
    I already miss Callisto and Velasca, (Now THOSE were the days!) and now even Xena and Gabby are gone. Well, here's hoping that everyones careers continue successfully in the years to come.
    Battle on!
    ------------------
    M. Hyde

4. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

quote: There is already talk for her to play Wonder Woman in the up coming movie.[/quote]
    If that actually pans out it will be great. She has the figure, the wit, and the charm to pull off that role.
    Let's just hope it is a decently written screenplay and unlike the junk that seems to be coming out these days...
    As for Lawless' role in the season finale, I watched it sorta by accident yesterday. The series never held much for me, but I was bored [​IMG]
    It was pretty well done, some cool battle scenes in it, though her main opponent was entirely too much. Cutting down on the makeup by 3/4 would have helped.
    Truth be told, I didn't really like the finale's finale. Up to about 10 minutes before the end, everything was great. Sigh.
    But for Lawless' career's sake (and that of the other actors), this is the best that could happen. She can now concentrate on other roles and escape being typecast (though WonderWoman is not too far a move there...).
    Mike

5. Jeremy-P

Jeremy-P Stunt Coordinator

Xena's over now? I stopped watching a couple years ago when it started taking itself seriously. It probably would've been cancelled long ago if it weren't for the huge lesbian following. Most of the series was great though, so I guess I'll miss that.

6. Pete_S

Pete_S Stunt Coordinator

So did Xena really "come out," as Lucy Lawless said she would during her appearance on Conan O'Brien last week? She basically said there'd be little doubt as to what Xena's sexual preference was if you watched the final episode.
    Of course, maybe she was just trying to get people to watch. [​IMG]

7. Will Cunningham

Will Cunningham Stunt Coordinator

There were plenty of "But I love you Xena's" and it looks like Xena had another girlfriend before Gabby, pretty much unsaid but obvious.
    Ben, I can't agree with you more! I SO miss Calisto! She was the entire reason I got into Xena in the first place. The WB was showing a "Calisto Month" during a summer repeat season and that SO got me hooked. I kind of wish she had turned up in the finally.
    I also agree about not letting TV control your life. I was very much in the thrall of TV (hehe too much Buffy). My savior did not come in the form of getting a life, but rather in the form of the Mighty TiVo. TiVo released me from the bondage of watching TV when it was aired, freeing me up for doing what I want when I want too. I love it so much I just wanted to share. [​IMG]
    Take Care,
    Will

8. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

The way I always understood it, Xena only had eyes for Argo. [​IMG]
    Okay, okay - bad joke. Stop throwing things at me!
    EVERYBODY DO YOURSELVES A FAVOR! GO HERE AND HELP GET XENA ON DVD!
    http://www.xenahercules.com/poll.html
    ------------------
    M. Hyde

9. Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz Cinematographer

I just want to know when Xena and Gabrielle turned gay. When did that happen?
    I haven't followed the show after the first two seasons and the very few that I caught, it was "Xena I love you" this, "Gabrielle, I love you that", a little "I give my life for you" here, a little "if I have 30 seconds left to live I want to spend them looking into your eyes" there...I mean DAMN, if that's not gay I don't know what is.
    Not that I'm complaining [​IMG]. I'm just curious.
    Can you imagine Hercules and Iolas saying those lines to each other? [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Andres
    http://members.aol.com/coolvirus/

10. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

quote: I just want to know when Xena and Gabrielle turned gay. When did that happen?[/quote]
    Probably when the producers found out how much of a lesbian fan base they had. [​IMG]
    Most of it was just suggested. They had a close relationship and they always skirted the issue of how close of a relationship they really had. Ambiguity is always fun and it always ruins a show to resolve something like this. (Look at Moonlighting and Beauty And The Beast for examples.)
    BTW, I don't think "turn gay" is the right term. I mean, my girlfriend didn't turn straight to go out with me. (She had two girlfriends before going out with me.) We love who we love. For some people, sex doesn't matter, the feeling is the same.

11. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

12. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

13. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Can someone post a synopsis (w/spoilers) of the last episode?

14. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Oh come one guys. They courted/played up the lesbian thing to get ratings from the start. Remember the "Lesbian Vampire" episode in season ..2 (I think). Or the entire episode where they met "Menia". Even TV guide reported one of the writers admitted they added the content to spice things up from the start.
    I liked the series when it was more fun and had more inuendo. I have not watched for the last year or so, but I am sorry I missed the final episodes. I wish the actors well on future projects.

15. Damian

Damian Agent

I haven't watched the show in awhile but I have been reading some pretty horrid things about the series finally. From what I've gathered, the fans aren't too happy with what became of their favorite leather clad princess. I kinda have an idea what happened but can somebody fill me in as to why they would end the show the way they did. I mean, there is pretty much no hope at all of her ever coming back in any form (tv movie, feature movie..etc) is there?
    ------------------
    -Damian

16. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

Here's an outstanding review of the Final Episode :
    http://scifi.ign.com/tv/7026.html
    The Reviewer also offers his opinions as to why the finale was so brutal in nature.