An Odd What Song Is this Question-Bob Dylan

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ike, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

A while back, I downloaded a song off of Napster called Cocaine by Bob Dylan. I actually really liked the song, and now, want to find what album it's on. Problem is, I can't. So, I may have the name of the song wrong, or it may be a bootleg or something. The chorus goes:

Here's Comes a Baby All Dressed Red

Hey Baby Better off Dead

Cocaine all around my brain

Any help is appreciated.

2. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

The song is "Cocaine Blues," a traditional song not written by Bob. It exists in two basic forms -- one a live performance at the Gaslight Cafe in 1962, released on several bootlegs, and second a live performance from 1997 that was released on an import CD single for the song "Love Sick" from the Time Out Of Mind album.
    It should be pretty easy, judging from Bob's voice, to know which of the two you've got. [​IMG]
    Ryan

3. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Some Zimmerman freak will no doubt have a detailed answer, but I think the song is Cocaine Blues and is only available as a boot.
    It's from the early 60's, the Stealin' session.
    Jim

4. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Bob's obviously young on the recording, so that answers my question.

Anybody else heard this song? It's really fantastic.

5. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Jim,

I think I own that bootleg somewhere. Does it also include "Love Minus Zero"? Anyway, concerning Dylan's voice. I loved it then and I love it now. I was never prouder of my 14 year old daughter when she asked if she and I could go see Dylan in concert a few months ago for her Christmas present. I've been to literally hundreds of concerts and this was one of the best. Dylan and his band sparkled and Dylan more than held his own instrumentally with 2 very fine guitarists in his group. And the thing was, that, with open seating, we were 10 feet from the stage. Ahhhh, just like the good old days.

6. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit