An observation about 'PIMP MY RIDE' and shows like it...

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Inspector Hammer!, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Is it me, or are most of the people who's car or truck just got "pimped out" not greatful enough when the vehicle is revealed to them?

They almost never flip out enough to me and sometimes come off down right sullen lol. We spend the entire episode with these guys working damn hard on these vehicles and the payoff is always a let down, at least for me.

It's rare that you see someone really freak when they see their vehicle.

I don't know, just something I noticed lol.

2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Probably from watching the show before they're on it, their expectations are so high that unless it was the DeLorean from Back To The Future, they can't help but be slightly dissapointed. Either that or they're ungrateful scumbags. [​IMG]

3. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I would think that having gone from a pile of junk to drive around to a car that is basically brand new, with lots of toys to boot, they would be more grateful.

Bruce

4. RichardK

RichardK Second Unit

I have seen some PMR episodes where the 'winners' do go absolutely rolling on the floor crazy. I havent watched much lately since they went to the new custom outfitter team. The only reason I do tune in is because of "Mad Mike" or whatever he goes by.

5. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

I think some people just have to digest what they are seeing. When you are caught by surprise, sometimes it takes a while to process things.

Course, I like watching Trading Spaces to see the bad reactions as well as the good ones. Not everything is a positive experience.

Jason

6. Martino

Martino Supporting Actor

Martin O.
    I'd like to see a show where the re-visit the car owners a year later, and see how the car is now. I can understand how some people are not happy about what was done to their car. I saw one show, where they took up 1/3 of the trunk space of a car to install a bowling ball rack with bowling shoe holder. I think I would rather have the trunk space and just put my stuff in the back seat when I'm going bowling. They also don't do much to the main car functions on this show - like engine overhauls. New paint and fancy stuff won't make a car with engine troubles any better.

7. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    I noticed that about the engine issue too, Martino, they aren't nearly as thourough with the cars as say, the guy's on Overhaulin'.

8. ChrisCAB

ChrisCAB Stunt Coordinator

I think sullen is the appropriate response for anyone with a modicum of taste and common sense who finds that his/her new ride contains an X-box and a drum machine permanently installed in the trunk.

9. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

PMR and Overhaulin are 2 of my favorite shows. What really irritates me when the new ride is revealed is an owner that says 'Oh my god' over and over and over again.

10. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    While I like both shows, i'd have to say that I like Overhaulin' a bit more for two reasons, one is that they do everything including the engine and two because they have a sick sense of humour lol.

They put their clients through excruciating mental agony by making them think that their car has been stolen and stripped. [​IMG]

11. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

I love Pimp My Ride - but the reaction is understandable by certain people for certain cars.

If someone knew I liked hotdogs - I'd be pretty ticked if if someone gave me ketchup and mustard dispensers. Yeah, that happened last night.

Some stuff I think is just dumb, like having 3 conveyer belts in the trunk that will break down when the guy takes it off the lot - that are only used for the PSP. Who needs three PSPs?

Ehh...

What's with the entirely new staff on Pimp?

X - Please Pimp My Ride!

12. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    I do like the way they try to personalize the vehicle for each person, but some of the paint jobs they come up with are just dog ugly! Like they just did one guy's car who was big into aliens and outer space, they gave his car this hideous paint job with big glow-in-the-dark green circles all over it.

BLECH!

They also add things that no one even knows how to use lol. For instance they recently did this guy's ice cream truck and added touch screens for the people to select their ice cream, the guy didn't even know how to use it!

How will small children be able to use that thing lol? [​IMG]

13. Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues Supporting Actor

Umm....Small kids will know how to use it just fine and have a good time with it. But, I can't see it being a sales benefit. Isn't it easier to just ask for what you want from the guy with a smoke dangling from his mouth?

14. Dave_Brown

Dave_Brown Supporting Actor

They probably aren't very excited because they know that with the $20,000 or so of gadgets they have installed, they still have to drive back to their bad neighborhood and the odds of that car being around for more than two days are slim to none.

15. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson

[​IMG] [​IMG]

That's it, you nailed it lol.