An irked film student on OAR, Blockbuster, etc.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron Garman, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Aaron Garman

Aaron Garman Second Unit

Hello all. As some of you, or none of you know, I am a film student. I am currently taking 3 classes of it this semester. Today something irked me a little bit. In my intro class, our professor was lecturing on terms and we discussed OAR. I absolutely loved the presentation she gave on it. Then we discussed it. Some kid in there mentions how it doesn't like it when DVD's only have widescreen because the picture is too small, despite being correct. He claims he watches on a laptop monitor, thus he wants a bigger picture. This was all I needed to get riled up. I then starting talking about how some studios (you know who you are) are releasing Pan and Scan for commercial purposes only and not protecting the art that is film. Later on in class, I gave an impromtu speech on why NOT to go to Blockbuster because of what they are doing. I was glad that people listened to this. I am hoping that this aspect ratio topic comes up again in class so that I can go after these J6P's, as well as educate those who don't know about OAR. VIVA OAR!

AJ Garman

2. Bruce N

Bruce N Second Unit

YOU GO BOY!!!

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Ignorance needs to be exterminated.

4. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

I have encounterd 2 people at stores who hate widescreen at stores and even though I explain it to them and they understand it they seem to still want P&S. It's like when we were back in school and fellow classmates didn't care for art class.

5. Grant B

Grant B Producer

It took me a long time to accept the world is full of cannonfodder.... this sounds harsh but think about it

How does Britney Spears and Michael Jackson sell 32 trillion records?

How does Titantic make 70 zillion dollars...someone goes to see it

Think network TV, someone watches "stick 9 beautiful people on a desert island and see them bitch themselves to death"

Throw McDonalds Blockbuster starbucks and Walmart in the pot and stir well...these are the P & S people and they outnumber us a zillion to one , no matter what a few hundred people from this forum think

Accept it and act smug....there are just too many of them

6. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

GrantB that means that they will have the say on how dvd will appear in the future. And it may turn up to look like Divix disc.[​IMG]

7. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I don't think that entirely true, $$$$ talks and as long as the AOR sells in sufficient numbers. Remember it takes $ and time to produce a P&S version (You need someone to chop the sides off!).

More than anything I was just trying to tell Aaron, sometimes life is to short to try and convert a rock to a rose....but I am sure a few saw the light of his speech, more power to him

8. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

Are you telling us that there is a student your FILM class that would rather watch pan n scan than OAR. I understand JSP not getting it, but a film student, thats just scary.

KrisM

9. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    It seems to me like it wasn just one student out of his film class. Seems like the rest of the class "got it."

10. David Brashear

David Brashear Stunt Coordinator

As a fellow film student, it amazes me how little most people seem to know about aspect ratios. Most looked absolutely clueless when one of my professors was discussing aspect ratio in very very simple terms - mainly the difference between academy ratio and wider screen sizes like 1.85:1 and 2.35:1. It wasn't until he gave examples from actual films and adjusted the actual width of the movie screen to accomadate the picture, that most seemed to get it.