What's new

An intriguing idea, watching color films in B&W. (1 Viewer)

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
That is an interesting point there Gabe. If you were attempting to dissect a film, and wanted to remove the color scheme from the equation as much as possible, I suppose that would be a valid way to do it. Kind of like muting the sound to evaluate the visuals.

BTW, I recommend a view of The Matrix lobby scene with the sound composer track. The scene really plays excellently with no sound effects. However, a first viewing should always be as close to theatrical in nature. I don't even recommend seeing a director's cut first, because that won't allow you to understand the movie before the cuts.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
On some older films I'll turn down the color if the color has faded, especially if the greens have gone.

Also some of the films from the sixties looked good in black & white (The Apartment) so turning down the color on other 60's films actually seems to date them less (IMO)especially if they have awful color schemes with lots of purple and orange)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't see the harm, as long as the change is being done by the end user (via color settings on TV). Heck, if half of Canada can see 'The Man Who Wasn't There' in color, I can certainly watch 'Star Wars' in B&W:).

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
How is this any better than watching a film in pan&scan? Someone please explain.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Until 1976 all I had was a black and white TV. Yes, I was watching a movie in altered format, but I didn't have any choice until I purchased a colored TV. I still enjoyed the movies.

I think the point of watching a colored movie in black and white is so you can concentrate on the storyline. Colors can be distracting at times.

David Echo

Stunt Coordinator
Without debating the rightness or wrongness of it, I'll just add that the Coen brothers' Miller's Crossing is the best colour film that I personally have watched in Black & White.

But hey, I also love to crank up the stereo with The Cult's Love Removal Machine and watch the end of ROTJ.

Call me crazy.

Dave

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The only films I've watched where I have turned the color off is for Mystery of the Wax Museum and Doctor X. These were made using 2 strip Technicolor and I really didn't like the way they looked on laser, very artificial, almost like colorized films. I prefer to watch them in black & white as they are much more atmospheric and creepy that way.
Both of those films were thought to be lost until someone at Turner found original 2-strip Tech. prints (on nitrate!).

After the prints were found, I think they had a new master made for duplication. That's partially why they look so weird. It's a miracle they even survive!

I think Ebert is trying to show how to analyze a film. He once stated that he'll show A Hard Day's Night frame-by-frame for analyizing. It's not what was intended, but it does break it down for taking in more.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The main issue is that Pan & Scan affects the product. Getting rid of the color using TV settings ensures that the original, proper (color) version of the film is the one released:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks