What's new

An interesting rumour... (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Exactly. I really think Leon Vitali was just taking Kubrick's preferences in the wrong way. He even said the last 3 films would be pillarboxed, yet Eyes Wide Shut is shown at 1.78:1 on HD stations! Kubrick filmed safe for 1.33:1, so there's absolutely no reason not to make every post-Spartacus film 16x9 enhanced and 1.66:1 or 1.78:1. If it was about exposing the most picture, it didn't happen to A Clockwork Orange since it's exactly 1.66:1 on the remastered DVD, yet the matting is around 1.50:1 on the old DVD (with hard mattes often visible).

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I have watched Lolita; A Clockwork Orange; Barry Lyndon; The Shining; Full Metal Jacket and Eyes Wide Shut zoomed-in to 1.78:1 and the framing looks like any other anamorphic 1.78-1.85 transfer. The headroom is fine. Eyes Wide Shut and Full Metal Jacket have been shown on TV in various parts of the world in HD at 1.78:1 and are said to have looked amazing. The current (restored and remastered) non-anamorphic and 1.33:1 open-matte transfer otherwise look stunning - if only they were anamorphic!

But if Warner get it into their head that Lolita; Clockwork and Lyndon should be 1.66:1, then I doubt that we'll see anamorphic transfers. BTW, what was the last 1.66:1 Warner transfer?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
^
Yeah, I goofed. Although, I expect people to know that 2001 isn't part of the majority of Kubrick aspect ratios. :)

Apparently, it was Giant (released in 2003). They HAVE done 1.66:1 at least once, with Friendly Persuasion.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Offering both AR's of Kubrick's post 2001 films would quell some of the screaming, as BR/HD-DVD have the space to do so without compromising quality (even up to including a second disc for extras if need be) I see no reason not to.

Oh, I'm sorry...am I being reasonable and all inclusive...how dare I? ;)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member

Ah. How many 1.66:1 films have they fudged to 1.78:1 anamorphic (Horror of Dracula; Curse of Frankenstein, etc) since Giant? Wasn't the elusive Canadian DVD that preceded the SE 1.78:1 anamorphic? Didn't George Stevens' son insist on 1.66:1 for the film? Frankly, I feel that Giant would be been better off being 1.33 on DVD. I feel this way about most 1950s films that are 1.66 on DVD, not counting VistaVision films, which should be anamorphic on DVD.

MGM continue to shit on us with 1.66:1 letterbox and now 1.33:1 p&s/open-matte on stuff like Pontecorvo's recently restored, Burn! (Brando). I was hoping that the Sony take-over would have seen to the end of non-anamorphic MGM transfers.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

I've seen THE SHINING twice in 35mm projected at 1.85:1, and it indeed looks terrific and perfectly composed that way.

Vincent

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
Gordon, on the recently released 'enhanced for widescreen' "James Dean: Forever Young" documentary I was pleasantly surprised to see the clips from Giant shown in 16x9.

To my eyes at least they looked a heck of a lot better on my 50" widescreen than the 1.66 non-enhanced SE DVD. The picture composition seemed to work very well. IMHO it's a shame we didn't get a choice of aspect ratios on this title.

YMMV of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks