What's new

An interesting Mothman discovery (WARNING SPOILERS) (1 Viewer)

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
Picked this DVD up a long time ago and finally got around to watch it. I noticed somwthing strange that even the movie does not address or not that I remember anyway.

When Gordon Smallwood met the Mothman aka Indrid Cole I decided to right his name down. I kept playing with the letters and discovered something..... an anagram.

DIE IN COLD, which is how Gordon Smallwood died.
oops,

.......forgot about the R. Guess the movie took my head for a spin. :D

I think I'll pick up the book this week. Fascinating movie.

Chet

I'm actually a big fan of this film, and I had written the review of the original release for The Digital Bits. It just had a great atmosphere, and unlike some, I was completely drawn into it.

I had never noticed the Indrid Cole anagram, and after you pointed it out, it makes incredible sense and actually adds yet another layer to the film.

In the next few days I'm going to watch it again with a critical eye, and see if I can find anything more in the Mothman's messages.

In the meantime, if you haven't yet read the book or you just don't have the time, there is a pretty good essay on it at: http://www.blather.net/archives2/issue2no5.html

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Well spotted, Chet! :emoji_thumbsup:

I think that it is a fabulous piece of filmmaking. The collapsing bridge sequence is truly hair-raising and strikingly filmed.

The 'apparently' true story is absolutely fascinating.

Gordy

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I too was completely sucked into the movie when I watched it on DVD last year. I think it was all about the very creepy atmospehere that did it for me. I liked the story as well.

Is the newer special edition DVD worth picking up?

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
I, too really like this film. And I wasnt THAT impressed with it the first time I saw it,
On my second viewing, it hit me like a ton of bricks, the eerieness, the tragedy, JKs sense of grief and loss.

I do think Pellington went overboard in telegraphing Mothmans appearances via both CGI and real objects-a Symbol: the stylized "Y" that pops up every so often.

Should be a contest to locate the most "Y"s-a free trip to Point Pleasant.:D

The SE is definatlely worth a pick up, with all the extras- a Docu on MM, and a filmed running Docu/Diary of the production as it started, worked, and finished.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Good observation...I love this movie...and havent watched it in quite some time...I think I might just pick up the SE...looks to be pretty nice...

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
The original book is fantastic, nothing like the movie, but about as atmospheric.

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
Yeah. I really liked this movie. I think 2002 was the year that Richard Gere finally came-back. "Mothman.." was good, "Unfaithful" with Diane Lane was awesome, and then he got critical acclaim in "Chicago". I think "Mothman.." and "Unfaithful" are his best work since "Internal Affairs" in 1990. Very atmospheric and eerie movie without selling-out on cheap thrills.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I saw this movie for the first time in HI-DEF
last night on HBO.

I was immediately drawn into the creepiness of
this film. To think that this is actually based
on a TRUE story is quite frightening.

Pretty good film, in all.

Have there been any stories over the past few
decades concerning Mothman appearances?

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
This site is the best one.

The whole history of 'it' is an absolutely fascinating; moreso that typical UFO sightings, in my opinion, as there is more of a human connection in the cases, and the testimonies from people who had encounters in the Sixties are very credible - doctors etc, respected people.

There is a lot of weird stuff in the world that cannot be explained at present by anyone, and the case of the Mothman is a humdinger!

I really liked the movie. A Richard Gere movie! Yikes! :D

Gordy

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure why I clicked on this thread - since I haven't seen the film and indeed am not terribly interested in it, but nevertheless...

Even if Indrid Cole is the name of the Mothman, it's not an anagram of "Die In Cold" - there's an R missing.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
To PELLINGTONS credit, he kept 99% of the UFO backstory submerged-there was a whole sequence from the book, which was filmed and deleted,(in the extras) of Connie, John and the townspeople turning out to some vantage point for a rather long lasting UFO light show....we only see traces of it in the film via the "lightning" and Connie mentioning "weird lights"
Another eerie detail from the book-people reported seeing someone crawling around on the bridge-like a human fly-right before it collapsed...

It seems the Suits leaned on him to bring the number of deaths down from what- 68 down to 36-so as not to seem TOO tragic.
I suspect they made him put the overdone MTV-touches in, also.
Still one of my favorite films of the unknown...

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I loved this movie! Heard a while back about the SE version but it slipped past my radar until I found this thread last night.

Immediately shut down my computer and hopped in the car to go out in search of an SE to replace my bare bones version.
2 hours and a quarter tank of gas later, all I'd found at BB, CC, Wherehouse, and Tower Records was the barebones original release. Knowing in my gut that the search was fruitless I ventured into WalMart and found 4 copies of the new SE release. Snapped it up for $19.95 and chuckled demoniacally all the way home.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks