An interesting discovery: Logic 7 related....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron E. Smith, Nov 26, 2001.

1. Aaron E. Smith

Aaron E. Smith Stunt Coordinator

I am in the middle of considering an upgrade of my system, especially my processor (I have another post on that subject), and I've been curious about other types of processing. Having used Logic 7 for so long, I don't really know what else is out there and how it compared to the version of Logic 7 on my Lexicon DC-1. Then it hit me: the Lexicon has Dolby Digital THX 5.1 with Surround EX. I wondered how this would compare with Logic 7. So, I decided to do a little experiment (I'll say up front that I am not claiming that my personal experiences are some sort of fact, just my experiences)--using the THX demo opening fom the Toy Story special edition and some bits of Titan AE, I ran the two back and forth between L7 and THX. Now I'm not entirely sure if the EX part of that only works with THE EX discs, but here were my discoveries:

With my 7.1 setup, it became clear in each instance that L7 was far more adept at using the rear channels. When the little robot looking guy in the THX logo goes flying around, L7 supplies a far more enveloping field of flight. In Toy Story, when the pizza truck swishes by from the back left to the center of the front, L7 brings to truck right through the listening area; THX EX processing placed it almost entirely at the sides (thru the side speakers) and then into the front (not too bad, but L7 was much better IMO).

Anyway, while I'm not sure of the scientific validity of this little experiment (I'd like some more advice on what to do to test this) I didn't make any discovery that surprised me until the very end. All the while I was comparing THX vs. L7 for steering and whatnot (and I rather expected L7 to turn out the winner) I began to notice a change in clarity. Voices and sounds in Logic 7 were slightly bright and have just a hint of noise. Nothing big mind you, but slightly imperfect. Then I swtitched back to THX.... silence.... voices from movies had never sounded so good from my DC-1. My conclusion: the version of Logic 7, as implemented on the DC-1, is simply not as clear and defined as using THX EX on the same exact system (and at the same volume setting). It seems that the Logic 7 processing does introduce some sort of distortion, however minor.

Ok, now that I've put my proverbial foot into my proverbial mouth, I'll wait for the flames. What do you all think of this? I'm frankly shocked that a DC-1 using L7 would not sound as clear as the same Lex. using a non-Lexicon processing system.....

2. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

First, I think you have one of the best processors out there. I find Logic 7 (from a stereo or Pro-Logic point of view) to be quite accurate and using EX set-up on such sources I find Logic accurately places sounds in the rear center channel. I have the HK AVR 500 and my next upgrade will be a Lexicon when I get the go ahead to finish the new basement.

3. Adam

Adam Stunt Coordinator

THX EX processing re-equalizes the sound to tame the brightness in some films. Logic 7 has the ability to re-equalize the sound, as well. In the setup menu you can turn Re-EQ on or off. It sounds like you have the re-equalization off. Try turning this feature on and see if it doesn't change things.

Adam.

4. Aaron E. Smith

Aaron E. Smith Stunt Coordinator

Jerome: Thanks, I think the Lexicon is a fine processor. I would like something that can handle DVD Audio though. Good luck with your setup and basement!

Adam: I'll have to give that a shot. I haven't checked the Re-eq. setting since I set the Lex. up last year, but I can't imagine that I left it off. Still, it isn't impossible and I can imagine it would make just such a difference. I'll check it out and get back. Thanks!

5. Drew Eckhardt

Drew Eckhardt Stunt Coordinator

5.1 Logic-7 is very configurable. You'll either have a field day or go nuts tweaking it.

One option is "Vocal Enhance" which applies gain to center channel frequencies which appear to be vocals. To make a direct comparison, this needs to be off.

Another is THX re-equalization. Make sure you have the same "ON" setting in both modes.

You also want to make sure you have the same Compression setting in both modes. AUTO seems to work well.