An interesting article on HD Videotapes

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Loughridge, Jan 30, 2002.

1. Jeff Loughridge

Jeff Loughridge Stunt Coordinator

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/30/bu...ia/30TAPE.html
    Headline and first paragraph follow...
    4 Studios to Issue Films in a High-End Video Format
    Four movie companies are to announce today that they plan to release films like "Die Hard," "Independence Day" and "Terminator" on high-definition videocassette to be used with a player from JVC, the Japanese electronics manufacturer. The new JVC format, called D-Theater, is designed exclusively for use with high-definition television sets.

2. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Hmmm. I didn't read the article as I am not a member at NYT (and don't feel like bothering with it) but just from your paragraph it's interesting.
    Just the other day I saw a thread "is the VCR dead" or something like that. I was thinking, yeah I haven't used mine since the PVR, and DVD's picture quality makes it almost imposible to watch movies on video now.
    Now.. If more and more HDTV sets are sold everyday, HDVCRs come down in price (and they WILL), and studios start releasing NEW and OLD movies in HD on video tape. Well, by the time the nation makes the full switch to DTV I could see video tape reclaiming the lead from DVD as the mianstream medium again.
    Being able to record HD, and play HD movies on the same box would seal it up for many people.
    Hmmm. [​IMG]

3. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

There's one problem with HD Videotapes --It's still tape. That means it must degrade over time and repeated use.
    I'm really pulling for a major jump in hard drive technology which will allow for products like TiVo to really be able to have the capacity to record HDTV content. Right now the HDTV PVRs in Japan are way too expensive, and only have about 2.5+ hours of HDTV recording time. Not good.

4. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit

Actually, the problem with these tapes is that they will be copy-protected, first with DTCP (5C) encryption and then with JVC's proprietary "D-Theater" encryption. They will only be viewable in full resolution via the Firewire port on the JVC D-VHS deck. Protected content will be "image constrained" to 480i via the analog outputs. Therefore, these tapes are useless for 99% of the HDTVs currently in the market.

5. Karl Englebright

Karl Englebright Stunt Coordinator

Does that mean that even the Mitsubishi "promise" module wouldn't work?
    So if it does work with the tauted "promise" module, we are talking, what? Around $1K for the promise module and, another $2K for the D-VCR?
    I curse the day I got into this hobby![​IMG]