An inexpensive video processor to create letterbox...?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dick, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Here is what I want to be able to do, cheaply and easily: I want to superimpose a hard letterbox matte over the one that is transmitted by TCM during their 2.35:1 films in order to eliminate the bug that periodically appears on screen beneath the picture area. Or, for that matter, I'd like to be able to create a letterbox where none existed on home videos that were shot with widescreen in mind. This needs to be fairly cheap - just a box that can generate a variable matte. Any recommendations?

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

The cheapest way is to use cardboard painted black, velcroed to your TV. I doubt you'll find an electronic device that does this in realtime, or if there is one, that it will do it cheaply, or without a significant reduction in video quality. Depending on your TV size, you could make 2 sizes, a 1.85:1 and a scope version. Or, you could simply use two pieces of cardboard that can be moved independently to accomodate for odd framing on TV.

3. Michael St. Clair

If you feel you must do it electronically, it would be easy to do with a used Amiga and a genlock, you could probably get the pair used for a hundred bucks.

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    If you have a front projector, Stewart makes screen models with motorized masks.

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

6. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Yes, but I seem to have quite vivid recollections that, about ten years ago, there was a fairly simple unit with inputs for video source and output to t.v. (or vcr) that allowed one to generate black areas - create a matte of any shape or size, essentially. This would record onto a tape if fed to a vcr, and could thus potentially eliminate any bugs that appear within the black bars of a broadcast letterbox picture. Think it sold for $100-200. Am I way off base here?

7. Michael St. Clair

There might be some video mixers that would work, one that does bottom to top wipes and has a built-in 'black' generator.

8. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Ditto the mattes idea; not only will it help with your problem, but it will also really improve your DVD watching experience. Pat Sun did a page on making mattes:
    http://www.io.com/~patman/ht.html#mattes

9. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Well, creating a matte to put over a television screen is fine IF ONE HAS A FLAT TUBE OR SCREEN. I do not. I have a fairly flat (32") screen, but placing a matte over it just isn't effective because the slight curvature means that anyone not sitting dead-on straight-ahead in front of the screen (one person at best) will not see a perfectly rectangular image.