What's new

An impassioned plea to ‘Warner Bros’ over ‘Friends Season 8’ – Please change the date (1 Viewer)

David Levy

Stunt Coordinator
Dearest Mr Warner Executive,

Thanks for announcing Friends Season 8. I guess I am amongst many to be awaiting this one, (despite it not being the best season) and its great to see all of them lined up as the show’s DVD releases draw to a close.

Just one problem – why November? Of course, you can release your products any time you wish, but I may or may not be talking on behalf of quite a few HTF customers when I say that November is starting to become just a little TOO much on the cash front.

We are in June, and as the November DVD news begins to trickle out, I am beginning to get a little stuck. Already on my shopping list for this month are Elf, Seinfeld, (Accounting for nearly $100 alone) Party Of Five Season 2, (supposedly) and Home Improvement Season 1. While Friends is a show I look forward to getting, I, like many, have a budget, and it just doesn’t look like Friends is going to fit. (I haven’t even factored in the likely releases of Day After Tomorrow and the current cinema releases)

So, Warner, my plea is this. PLEASE either bring it forward or put it back. I imagine (having worked in DVD production myself) that these are pretty much good to go. I can fit you in during October or December, but I’m afraid I’m all booked up during November.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
So who says you have to buy it the day it comes out? It's not like it is going to be pulled off the shelves after the first month.

David Levy

Stunt Coordinator
That is of course true, but its kinda the way I do things... I mean, I budget month to month, and I rarely fit any back catalogue in, which is what series 8 would become.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Plus, DVDs tend to cost more after the first week of release.

David, I totally understand where you're comgin from, November is indeed a "problematic" month when it comes to DVD releases. This year even more than usual. :)

Chris

Kenlc

Auditioning
I would like Friens season 8 to be released sooner as well, but it's really not Warner's problem if November is an expensive month for you. To others July may be an expensive month and nothing that holds their interest is coming out in November.

Why don't you pretend season 8 is being released now and put the money aside for November :) It's called budgeting, when you know November is going to be expensive, then start saving up now.

Chris Cheese

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not a Friends fan, but it seems to me that your best option would be putting off Home Improvement for a while. I mean, do you REALLY want to buy that show on DVD?! ;)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
As was said, Warner can't just say well...these other studios are putting out so much in november so we should put out less, their only concerned with getting your money for their product not what other studios do. What if they moved it back to December, and then that month filled up with tons of releases?

I want Friends season 8 sooner, but not because November is a big month, but because I'm ready to watch it.

Kevin Royal

Stunt Coordinator
If you were prepared to buy it earlier...save that money until November, and buy it then...

If you were prepared to buy it later, just wait until a slow month and then pick it up...

KR

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
Or wait until Season 9 comes out, and you'll probably get a discount for buying both.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I too was somewhat disappointed by the November release. Mind you, the only reason for this is that I wanted to be able to own it just as quickly as the previous seasons. The fact that they were releasing a season every 2 months was great, especially since I breeze right through these sets. Now with only three seasons remaining, it just stinks we have to wait approx. 6 months between seasons 7 and 8. Of course, complaining about it won't get anyone anywhere, so I, like everyone else, will just have to be patient. I only hope that the season 8 set will feature extra material that will be worth waiting for.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I don't understand the problem in having something made available for you at any time. You don't have to buy it until you're ready and it's not like the set will go out of print or anything.

I couldn't care less about FRIENDS, but I sure wish companies would be this quick in putting out the older TV shows that I DO want to buy!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Just ask for it as a Christmas gift! :)

Seriously, November is always a packed month for releases, because they want to get items out "just in time for the holidays"...either ask for certain things as gifts for whatever holiday you celebrate, or ask for gift certificates that you can redeem for anything you really want that jolly elves didn't bring.

Otherwise, yeah, just get anything that you're worried about not being available later, and save the sure-to-be-around-a-long-time items (like Friends) for purchases during the lean months later on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks