An idea for all you sonosub builders out there

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dean Cooper, Feb 7, 2001.

1. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

After seeing a lot of project pages for sonotube subs I've noticed that all of them are covered with either paint or a cloth sock. I tried something different on tube I happen to have left over from building deck pilings. ( not big enough to build a sub in to though [​IMG] ) I had this vinyl flooring that looks like checker-plate steel lying around and figured man would that ever make an intimidating looking sub [​IMG] which it really does well I've discovered. So I thought I'd throw the idea out there to you guys for an option other than the sock solution (not that the sock isn't a good one). This stuff is super easy to put on a tube and the effect is really cool. With all the floor patterns and finishes you can get these days wood, marble, steel...ect you could make your sub look like anything you want using little effort. Tell me what you think.
    Dean

2. Kevin Beck

Kevin Beck Stunt Coordinator

Dean,...
    I'm there! Good idea.
    GRCRY,...>>>--->

3. John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz Second Unit

Dean,
    Do you have a pic of your sub finished?
    John

4. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

That's a cool idea, kinda like the Mesa-Boogie Triple Rectifier amps...real "tough". [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    I was going to cover mine with a textured wallpaper. There were a few faux granite textures I liked, but they didn't rate high enough on the SAF scale. Plus, I didn't like the idea of having to buy five times more paper than I actually needed since they come in two-roll packs. (There were economy single-rolls available, but they were ugly.)
    I also looked into laminate (like Formica), but I was afraid that the rigidity of the laminate would cause it to peel up on a curved surface, pulling the top layer of paper off the cardboard tube.
    Another idea we had was to cover it with drywall mud and texture it ourselves for a stucco-like finish. But this didn't jive with the exposed wood finish.
    You're right. The sky's the limit. (But I just went with the sock. [​IMG])

6. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

or you could use a roll of contact paper.i have seen some pretty nice designs on that stuff and i think it is $5 a roll
    ------------------
    What consumes your thoughts controls your life...Creed

7. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

The material available both in steel and aluminium, is called "Diamond Plate". The effect of the raised areas is to reinforce the metal so that it has the strength of material 50% thicker.
    BTW, it's quite difficult to "bend", and it's not cheap [​IMG]

8. Dean Cooper

You don't know how much not remembering the real name of that pattern was driving me nuts. [​IMG] thanks! yeah the real metal is a real bitch to bend, but the flooring I had is vinyl, and wasn't too bad at all, just a little flooring glue and presto. Sorry I don't have anything to take the pictures with, wish I could [​IMG]
    Dean

9. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Neat idea! I haven't seen any non-traditional vinyl flooring, but will stop in a flooring dealer just to see what is available. I just covered my 24" diameter sonosub in grey UN-backed carpet.
    ------------------
    "Do you expect me to talk?"
    "No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!"

10. DavidMich

DavidMich Stunt Coordinator

To put that Diamond-Tread-Plate on a sonosub, here's what I recommend:
    Buy the material and take it to just about any sheet metal shop. (They make ductwork, custom metal stuff,etc.)
    Then ask them to cut it to the length you need to go around the sub. Then have them spin it 90 degrees and cut it to the length of the sub.
    Next step: Have them run it through a roll former to get the desired diameter.
    This should all take just a few minutes, and be VERY CHEAP!
    All you have to do when you get home is drill a couple of holes through the lapped-over seam (you did allow for a 1/2" overlap.....right? [​IMG]) Then fasten it with a "pop-rivet".
    This will yield a very professional installation, and would be very easy! By the way, the material comes in stailess steel and aluminum. I would probably go with the aluminum, since it is lighter, and definitely cheaper.
    ------------------
    The choices we make define our lives, because choice, not chance, determines destiny.

11. Dean Cooper

Actually I have a lot of metal bent for my other hobby (street rods) and yeah it would be pretty cheap to do. Heck I might make 281 Speaker covers out of aluminum to match the sub when I build the kits. [​IMG] Industrial HT look...Oooo I like it.
    Dean