An extra that all shows with cliffhangers should have...

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by todd s, Feb 17, 2005.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I was reading about Earth 2 being released. And how the show ended with a cliff-hanger. I think an extra that should be included with all shows that ended this way. Is the producers/writers should do a commentary or a quick featurette that explains how the cliff-hanger would be resolved. And if their are any other questions left..they should be answered. This is a cheap extra and would be a great thing for the fans who stuck with a show and were burned by the cancellation.

Shows with cliff-hangers:
    -John Doe
    -Earth 2
    -Space: Above & Beyond
    -Harsh Realm

You can add your shows also.

2. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

I think this is a great idea.

When "Dark Shadows" was cancelled in 1971, TV Guide actually ran a multi page article by the show's head writer which detailed where the plotlines would have headed had the show continued. It would be cool if they updated this concept with a little featurette on some of the DVD sets of shows that ended without resolving the story.

3. Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver Supporting Actor

I love that idea they defintly should do it, as it's a great special feature for the DVDs.

I'd love to see some on Brimstone if they ever release that especially. As I found a website once where the creators posted what was going to happen in the next six episodes. I think that made me more sadder then it was cancelled.

I would have also loved to hear the creators of Eerie Indiana explaimn how they would finish it. Especially with Dash X.

4. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

It would be nice to see, and could be possible in most cases... but sometimes there has been no resolution planned. For instance, If Star Trek: The Next Generation had ended at the end of season three, the resolution of "The Best of Both Worlds" would never have been written - or even outlined - since, according to writer/producer Michael Piller, he wrote part I and planned to leave the series (and the cliffhanger) in the hands of someone else. He did end up returning to the show, and had to dig his own way out of the cliffhanger and finish the story he started.

I'm not sure if they had worked their way out of the cliffhanger with Earth2 on paper or not. I know that, on the original airing, they swapped the order of the final two episodes... that way, the fate of a character which was left in the balance didn't remain unanswered, since the character "returned" for the final aired show. If there is an outline for the resolution in existence, even a text-only extra of it would be nice... problem is, with a show that old, it may be difficult to secure the material, if it exists... and it could also be difficult to find someone "in the know," since you're dealing with what amounts to a committe of writers in a show like this.

We can hope, though...

-Scott

5. Alex Wagner

Alex Wagner Stunt Coordinator

Popular
    and
    Moesha both ended with cliffhangers

6. Andreas_K

Andreas_K Stunt Coordinator

Great idea! The thought of buying an unfinished DVD set is what's keeping some people to invest in shows that were canceled before they're concluded. So it does make sense businesswise as well.
    Even if there hasn't been a plan of a definitive resolution to the cliffhanger there must have been some ideas the producers have been tossing around. They could present those. Some shows live on in literature so it may also be a chance to promote some book releases.
    Even commentaries on shows that are concluded (ST: Deep Space Nine for example) might include hints on what could have happened to some characters.

However some people will complain it destroys peoples own imaginations and ideas on how they would continue the show.

7. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

With regards to John Doe. The producers were going to resolve some mysteries before the end of the finale. But, Fox execs told them not to, because they were going to be renewed. [​IMG]

8. Valerie G.

Valerie G. Stunt Coordinator

I think this is a great idea! If the studios did this, it would actually make it so they could put out some of the short lived series, and they would surely get boughten by the fans who wanted to see how it ended!

Here is another vote for John Doe to be released like this! (Actually, in the "comments" area at TSoD, I actually said something like this when I typed in a comment about John Doe.) [​IMG]

9. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

I also think this is a good idea.

Those people don't have to watch that part of the DVD, then.

10. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Yeah, really. They can keep their own truth and never find out how it was supposed to end.

I saw the 3 years of 'The Lost World' and at the end of the last episode, which was also a cliffhanger, they added - 'To be continued..."

Of course that never happened. It makes me wonder if anyone at the studio wanted to remove the 'To be continued...' that was there, before cutting the DVD's. Sure, I would still wonder what happened, but without that ending note my imagination could run free. Oh wait, that's a scary idea! [​IMG]

Glenn

11. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I thought something like this when I got the above mentioned Harsh Realm DVDs. They took the time (and money) to shoot a documentary but they don't talk about how the show would have turned out. You can say Chris Carter never really planned the story that far ahead but I'm sure he had at least a vague idea of how the characters would end up.

On the other hand, I would hate for them to 'solve' Twin Peaks. After the initial dissapoint of a non-ending, I like that the show has no proper finish. Maybe I'm nuts...

12. Jeff'Reys

Jeff'Reys Auditioning

What of shows that deliberately ended with a cliff-hanger like Benson or they daytime soap Capitol? After all the years that some of these shows have been off, and since many of the behind-the-scenes folks have had other things divert their attention, finding someone with precise data on how open-ended shows should have ended is asking a lot. I wouldn't completely trust what someone said was the way a resolution was to happen even if it came from someone who crafted the storyline(s) because so much time has passed. Original ideas can become embellished, enhanced, fine-tuned, and mulled over whereas something that had to be resolved in 5/6 months couldn't be afforded the luxury of time. It'd be great to see original ideas mapped out on paper but to hear someone speak of resolutions must be taken with a bit of grain of salt.

13. LizH

LizH Second Unit

That's FOX for ya'. [​IMG]

"Dark Angel" was renewed for a third season -- then they cancelled it and replaced it with "Firefly". [​IMG]

14. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

This would be a must have for the eventual release of Dark Shadows 1991 as it has the worst cliffhanger ending I've ever seen on a network TV show:

Just as the show's heroine, time-traveling governess Victoria Winters, discovers that Barnabas is not just the cute neighbor across the way but also a 200 year old vampire (who lusts after her because she is the reincarnation of his dead fiancee/sister-in-law, Josette du Prés), the show closes on alternating close-ups of Barnabas and Victoria as she audibly gasps... cue credits. [​IMG]

15. LizH

LizH Second Unit

There's nothing in IMDB on the "Capitol" cliffhanger -- sorry. [​IMG]

16. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

Oh, I remember the "Capitol" cliffhanger, because I recorded that final episode! Spoilers ahead:

In the final episode, Sloane was trying to escape a military camp with terrorist connections and was captured as she was being smuggled out in the false bottom of a truck. The military had taken her in, charged her with espionage, and put her before a firing squad. The Cleggs and the McCandlesses back home in D.C. could do nothing except watch the events unfold on T.V., and the final scene of the final episode ended with Sloane facing down the firing squad as they were preparing to fire - fade to black, end of series.

I may be off on a couple of the minor details, because it's been nearly 20 years since the end of the series, but that's what I remember about that final episode. It was an interesting program that should have gone longer than its five-year run (it was replaced by "The Bold and the Beautiful"), and there was one actor on there who I swear was a complete identical ringer for the late Christopher Reeve.

Another series that ended on a cliffhanger note was the short-lived "V" series, the way it ended with the Supreme Leader taking off with Elizabeth, and the surviving members of the Resistance standing by and watching her leave.
    It would have been interesting to see how they would have continued it, had the series been picked up for another season.

17. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

How could I forget this recent cliffhanger debacle...Now & Again! Left on a huge cliffhanger. The show did well on CBS and yet was cancelled. [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

I know that there are many places online where you can read about the original plans for season 3 of popular, most of which were very funny ideas had the show come back. www.epguides.com might still have it up.

19. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Futurama kind of had this, but they knew the show was going off the air, so they wrote the show to reflect it. But it was interesting to hear them talk about it in the commentary.

20. MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein Supporting Actor

Misha Lauenstein
    With SOAP Season Four on the horizon, I think this should be an extra on that set. They managed to get an interview with the creators on Season Two, so it sounds doable to me.