An entire high-rise building of home theater/stereo gear

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Danny Tse, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

[c]***Just click on the various "bottoms" and the virtual elevator will take you to a different floor***[/c]

This is the Tin Chi Building in Hong Kong. There're 21 floors and almost each floor is occupied by a stereo/home theater dealer. The webpage is in traditional Chinese, but even if your computer can't decode the language, just check out the pics. Quite a range of equipment displayed....from Onkyo receiver (in gold color) to Energy Encore system, from Krell mono blocks to Cello Palette EQ. Even a pair of the classic Boston Acoustics Lynnfield that used to retail for US$4,500/pair. BTW, when you see the prices, US$1.00 = HK$7.80. Have fun.

Oh, click here to get to the "Virtual Elevator".

2. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Holy S!
    That is making me sick! I'm selling the house and family tomorrow and gettin' on a plane!

Onkyo who? Krell who?
    I'll take a pair of the Gryphon monos' and that Accuphase pre and a pair of the Nagra amps!
    And they stack it in there like it a Best Buy or something!
    Somebody on one of those floors has got to be hiring!

3. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I was there at the Tin Chi Building last year. The building is tall, but narrow, thus the cramp listening rooms. It was quite amazing seeing those Krell mono blocks that are as big as a bathtubs, and probably weights a ton each.

What I did was take the elevator to the top floor, then go down floor by floor using the stairs. The salespeople there generally are quite friendly and let you look around (I was drooling). Sometimes you would encounter a heated discussion amongst local audiophiles on various components or recordings.

Oh, almost no females in the building, from my observations.

If I remember correctly, the floors that doesn't sell audio/HT equipments have stores that sell Japanese comics and action figures.

4. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

Wow.......*drool*
    i wonder how's security on that building......*eye bulges out of socket*

5. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

There's almost no security at this building. I don't believe I've ever seen one single security guard there. The doorway into the building is extremely narrow; maybe 2 people can walk by shoulder-to-shoulder. Same with the stairs. The elevators are extremely small.

The area where this building is located is extremely busy. People everywhere. So forget about the getaway car.

I wonder how they get those Krell mono blocks into the building now....

6. NicholasL

NicholasL Second Unit

Ah yes...Hong Kong...I've lived there and frequent there often, but I've never come across this place. Hong Kong is ridiculously cramped so forget about trying to grab and run. But everywhere you turn is an electronics store. What baffles me about this particular one is that there are actually price tags. Hong Kong is notorious for leaving the prices off, so that you will never truly know how much more/less you are paying. It's also a good tool to rip off foreigners.

7. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

My guess is there is a frieght elevator tucked away somewhere.

8. dale^g

dale^g Stunt Coordinator

i need to get a visa and a plane ticket!

i wonder if they would take some blue jeans in trade?

9. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Danny,

Thanks for sharing. There is some awesome equipment there and that is an understatment.

10. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Not a problem, Chas....

Just goes to show how fanatical those Hong Kong home theater/stereo enuthsists are.

Here are some new photos just posted regarding a Sony demostration of its new DVD/SACD, receiver w/ digital amps, and SACD itself. Yes, those are indeed Sony speakers. Not B&W's.

Given the really tight space that the typical Hong Kong home theater enuthsist have to live in, here's a link to some photos of Hong Kong home theaters. Just like the "Theaters" page here at HTF.

Again, the webpages are in traditional Chinese, so even if your computer can't decode the language, just check out the pics. Quite a range of equipment being employed....

11. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

Which floor has the enormous krell monoblocks? I must have missed them.

Mark

12. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

I was just in Hong Kong for a week. I wish I had know about this before I went. [​IMG]

13. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

In those Hong Kong Theater pics i see ALOT of Denon 5803 and 4802 receivers, Pioneer DVDs, B&W Speakers, Canare interconnects, hide-away projection screens, and HTPC. I was also suprised to find ALOT of very high end systems consisting of non-matching speakers (One system had B&W Nautalis 801 mains and a low-end JBL center). I only saw one RPTV. The real kicker were the systems consisting of $30K worth of electronics and speakers, but only 5 or 10 actual movies. Nearly every screen-shot was of the same girl w/ glittery eyes singing.

14. Ben LG

Ben LG Stunt Coordinator

Thx for the links Danny, there are some very nice setups. I thought my bedroom HT was small... they really make use of those projection screens in such a small room.

15. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

16. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Mark,

The giant (to me they are huge) Krell mono blocks are located on "8th Floor" on the right hand side, at the store "AV Partner", which specializes in pre-owned equipment.

Here they're....middle of the page

http://www.avbuzz.com/timchi8.html

Ben,

I think we generally have it lucky when compared to the people in HK. Those rooms you see are probably it for the family; there're no separate family room and living room over there. And everyone is in a high-rise condo/flat. But when you're addicted....

Is it me or are those equipment way too shiny? Almost need sunglasses to look at the website.

17. Jonny K

Jonny K Second Unit

WOW. I don't know much about high end brands, but this stuff looks insane! Look at this guy's setup. He has a modest place, but sooooo much equiptment! And look at the cables he uses. They're as thick as my arm!

http://www.avbuzz.com/clk.htm

And yes, everything looks insanely shiny! Gold, glossy black, everything has a reflection!

Jonny K.